well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    First debate
Page 1 2 3 4 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

First debate
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Possible rule changes, including a mike mute.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/09/3...after-criticism.html

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37793 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:

And the Twit Tweets his reply to this..

"Try getting a new Anchor and a smarter Democrat candidate!"

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Ah, those crazy Giulianis ...

Like the Conways, this is another family whose dinner table conversation at Thanksgiving will be ... interesting.

Posts: 12511 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Piano*Dad:
Ah, those crazy Giulianis ...

Like the Conways, this is another family whose dinner table conversation at Thanksgiving will be ... interesting.

Lots of big names on that tweet stream.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34851 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:

No. Let I-1 do his thing. Let him come completely unglued on national (global) TV. Further don’t give him anything to complain about as “unfair” (“Biden never got his mic cut!”).

Give I-1 all the rope he wants.

Not that it will change a single mind.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30030 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
I am reminded of how we used to manage our kids' tantrums (ignoring the fact that they were like 3 years old and the Donald is over 70...)

With little kids, shunning is quite effective. You ignore them (pointedly) for a few minutes and they ultimately will run out of steam. So I was wondering what would happen if they just let him screech and didn't respond. But I don't think it would work because he won't run out of steam, and obviously he thrives on the attention he'd get. Most people would be embarrased if Biden and the moderator just went and stood together, arms crossed, staring and waiting for the tantrum to end.

But not ol' Donald. He'd take that as a victory. I think a strict time limit of 2 minutes, then the mic is cut (like in competitive debate, fwiw). Don't get your message out in the time allotted? Too bad, so sad. No back and forth during the two minutes. One mic on, the other mic off. Then rebuttals for 1 minute each, 1 mic on, the other mic off. You don't get to make all your points in 1 minute? Too bad, so sad.

They don't even need to be in the same room, building, zip code, or state.

That's the only thing I think would "work," and we'd still hear Trump flipping out and whining, but only in short doses.

Posts: 35367 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
It's somewhat comforting to me to read that Trump's managers were reportedly very disturbed by his performance at the first debate, as the following NBC link reads.

Do note, that the moderator, Wallace is concerned that as things were set up in the first encounter, even if Trump's mike were turned off, his blustering could still be heard on Biden's. This would continue to disrupt the proceedings.

Looks like they need to be physically/acoustically completely separated for mic control to work.

trumpworld worried amid debate performance fallout

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
Just as an aside, as I imagine the proposed changes being enacted, I think it would put Trump at a tremendous disadvantage.

Wouldn't he have to make notes of Biden's remarks for reply - and actually listen to him during Biden's turn? I can't picture Trump doing either.

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
Remember to make a small donation to Biden so he can brag about lots of donors and donations.

Posts: 19757 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25677 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
POD, Chas.

The Chicago Tribune has two opinion writers, Clarence Page and John Kass. Page is generally viewed as more liberal, and Kass more conservative.

Their respective columns about the debate. The first one is syndicated; I'm trying to avoid paywalls.

Clarence Page

John Kass

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37793 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
Can a president be guilty of sedition?

Asking for a friend.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
I think the current Republican rule (for Republican presidents only) is that if the president does it, it MUST be legal...

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7546 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Trump "Insists" on no changes to the format

Great! The debate commission should cancel the upcoming events and spare the nation the continued GOP delegitimization of the election.

Posts: 12511 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Piano*Dad:
Trump "Insists" on no changes to the format

Great! The debate commission should cancel the upcoming events and spare the nation the continued GOP delegitimization of the election.
I disagree.

The more the nation knows about the GOP's continued delegitimization of the election, the better.

We need I-1 to say it out loud. We need a record. He wants to disrupt voting. He wants to hamper a free and fair election. He will challenge any outcome that doesn't declare him the clear winner of both the electoral college and the popular vote. And if he clearly loses, he will refuse to vacate the office. We need a record of him saying this clearly and unambiguously on national TV.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com