well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    How about a really great salad?

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How about a really great salad?
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted
I perfected this at home recently after I found some smoked cheddar, which is essential. It has been a favorite of mine for years.

Golden Lamb Inn's Signature Salad

Spring mix
Granny Smith apple cut in matchstick size
Pecans candied with a little melted butter and honey (1 T of each and 1/2 C pecan pieces - on parchment paper 350 for 7-8 minutes)
Shredded smoked cheddar (you can get this in a block at Gordon's Food Service)
Creamy balsamic dressing lightly applied (I suspect Marzetti's is similar)

--------------------------------
"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13525 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
twit
Beatification Candidate
Picture of kluurs
posted Hide Post
That sounds great though I'd prefer goat cheese.

Posts: 9597 | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
I'm pretty sure I'd like that. I'll have to see if I can find the smoked cheddar.

Is the Golden Lamb Inn a Cincinnati restaurant?

Big Al

Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7379 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Close. It is in my home town of Lebanon. It’s Ohio’s oldest inn, now owned by Rob Portman and his siblings. Outstanding inn and restaurant.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
If you are interested.

https://www.goldenlamb.com/

Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
That sounds fantastic.

Posts: 35367 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kluurs:
That sounds great though I'd prefer goat cheese.

Seriously, the smoked cheddar adds a lot to it.

Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
I looked for directions on their website. I'm only 4-1/2 hours away. Seems like I and my wife ought to dine there sometime.

Big Al

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7379 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
What a fascinating place. Wish I were closer.

Carr Valley has some very nice cheeses; I've had their blues.

They have an apple smoked cheddar.

https://carrvalleycheese.com/p...pple-smoked-cheddar/

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37793 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
You're singing my song, WTG.

I spent some time in France in the company of a number of frenchmen years ago. I really enjoyed the wines they selected at dinner, but my ultimate delight was when the after-dinner cheese board appeared.

There are a lot of artisan cheesemakers around and their wares are increasingly accessable. My wife often says "It's a great time to be a beerdrinker" and I agree with that, but it's also a great time to be a cheese-eater.

Big Al

Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by big al:
I looked for directions on their website. I'm only 4-1/2 hours away. Seems like I and my wife ought to dine there sometime.

Big Al

You should plan to stay there as well. It's pretty reasonable, and Lebanon is becoming a nice little boutique town. There's even an artisan cheesemaking shop. Let me know if you decide to go and maybe we can get together.

Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
OK, I prepared this salad last weekend when one of my sisters-in-law and her husband came to dinner. It was excellent and will be served again. I found a Wisconsin applewood-smoked cheddar and prepared the pecans per the directions. I served with Brianna's creamy balsamic dressing.

Big Al

Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Glad you liked it!

Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Just saw this this morning - looks like a great recipe for cod from the Golden Lamb.

https://local12.com/news/get-i...puppies-tarragon-dip

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Finally managed to get all the ingredients for the salad and we made it as a side to our quiches.

ThumbsUp ThumbsUp ThumbsUp

We both think the pecans are what make it.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37793 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post