well-temperedforum.groupee.net
How about a really great salad?

This topic can be found at:
https://well-temperedforum.groupee.net/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9130004433/m/3713938397

11 February 2020, 04:59 PM
Mikhailoh
How about a really great salad?
I perfected this at home recently after I found some smoked cheddar, which is essential. It has been a favorite of mine for years.

Golden Lamb Inn's Signature Salad

Spring mix
Granny Smith apple cut in matchstick size
Pecans candied with a little melted butter and honey (1 T of each and 1/2 C pecan pieces - on parchment paper 350 for 7-8 minutes)
Shredded smoked cheddar (you can get this in a block at Gordon's Food Service)
Creamy balsamic dressing lightly applied (I suspect Marzetti's is similar)

--------------------------------
"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

11 February 2020, 08:35 PM
kluurs
That sounds great though I'd prefer goat cheese.
11 February 2020, 08:37 PM
big al
I'm pretty sure I'd like that. I'll have to see if I can find the smoked cheddar.

Is the Golden Lamb Inn a Cincinnati restaurant?

Big Al

Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

11 February 2020, 09:11 PM
Mikhailoh
Close. It is in my home town of Lebanon. It’s Ohio’s oldest inn, now owned by Rob Portman and his siblings. Outstanding inn and restaurant.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

12 February 2020, 11:51 AM
Mikhailoh
If you are interested.

https://www.goldenlamb.com/

12 February 2020, 12:00 PM
Nina
That sounds fantastic.
12 February 2020, 12:26 PM
Mikhailoh
quote:
Originally posted by kluurs:
That sounds great though I'd prefer goat cheese.

Seriously, the smoked cheddar adds a lot to it.

12 February 2020, 04:50 PM
big al
I looked for directions on their website. I'm only 4-1/2 hours away. Seems like I and my wife ought to dine there sometime.

Big Al

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

12 February 2020, 04:55 PM
wtg
What a fascinating place. Wish I were closer.

Carr Valley has some very nice cheeses; I've had their blues.

They have an apple smoked cheddar.

https://carrvalleycheese.com/p...pple-smoked-cheddar/

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

12 February 2020, 05:09 PM
big al
You're singing my song, WTG.

I spent some time in France in the company of a number of frenchmen years ago. I really enjoyed the wines they selected at dinner, but my ultimate delight was when the after-dinner cheese board appeared.

There are a lot of artisan cheesemakers around and their wares are increasingly accessable. My wife often says "It's a great time to be a beerdrinker" and I agree with that, but it's also a great time to be a cheese-eater.

Big Al

12 February 2020, 05:21 PM
Mikhailoh
quote:
Originally posted by big al:
I looked for directions on their website. I'm only 4-1/2 hours away. Seems like I and my wife ought to dine there sometime.

Big Al

You should plan to stay there as well. It's pretty reasonable, and Lebanon is becoming a nice little boutique town. There's even an artisan cheesemaking shop. Let me know if you decide to go and maybe we can get together.

24 February 2020, 09:22 PM
big al
OK, I prepared this salad last weekend when one of my sisters-in-law and her husband came to dinner. It was excellent and will be served again. I found a Wisconsin applewood-smoked cheddar and prepared the pecans per the directions. I served with Brianna's creamy balsamic dressing.

Big Al

25 February 2020, 08:12 AM
Mikhailoh
Glad you liked it!

25 February 2020, 10:06 AM
Mikhailoh
Just saw this this morning - looks like a great recipe for cod from the Golden Lamb.

https://local12.com/news/get-i...puppies-tarragon-dip

06 March 2020, 06:31 PM
wtg
Finally managed to get all the ingredients for the salad and we made it as a side to our quiches.

ThumbsUp ThumbsUp ThumbsUp

We both think the pecans are what make it.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training