well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Yellow Jackets!
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Yellow Jackets!
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted
Sam has been out of sorts for the last few days. Cold nose, good appetite, but very lethargic. That’s not like him.

My gardener just pointed out that yellow jackets are nesting in two of the hollow metal fence posts. He said he was concerned about the dogs and that a yellow jacket sting can really mess them up. I wonder if this is what happened to Sam.

Off to buy that spray you shoot from 40 feet away. The fact they’re inside the posts is going to make them hard to kill and I may have to bring in a pro.

Any tips?

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34851 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Oh no! Sorry to hear about this, hope Sam is ok.

We have always called a pro, when we had them at our rental house, the property management co. arranged it, and when we had them here last summer, we called in Arrow. You could try Arrow, Terminex (is that the right name??) or an independent exterminator. The thing we like about Arrow is that they come back (no charge) if the problem isn't resolved.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18329 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Small thermonuclear device ....

Yellow jackets are very aggressive. But once I know where they are, I have "sneaked" up on them and delivered a potent blast of spray right into the main hole. And then, of course, I have run away as fast as my little legs would carry me. Rinse, wash, and repeat a few times because they are very hardy.

I once dug up the nest afterward. The damn thing was bigger than a very large grapefruit. Not quite volleyball size.

Posts: 12513 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Have only had three sting incidents with our dogs. All were around the face and resulted in major league swelling but stopped short of anaphylaxis. We gave them Benadryl.

I always thought that stings were painful and/or itchy but have not heard of lethargy. Does he have any tender spots on his body that he's fussing with?

No hints for dealing with them, especially as they are in the metal fence post. I sure as hell wouldn't be trying to remove the cap to get a good shot...

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37794 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
We haven’t noticed any swelling, just that he wasn’t interested in barking at the UPS guy.

Those post caps are going to be a problem.

Posts: 34851 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
If you do anything about the yellow jackets on your own, does the advice to do it at dusk or after dark still hold for yellow jackets? IOW, it's said that wasps aren't active at night and most (all?) of them are in the nest, so that's the best time to spray. You get them all and they aren't swarming around ready to defend.

Can the fence posts be capped? Wait, are they already capped?? I can't picture what the problem is.

Posts: 18329 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Metal fence posts are hollow and have a decorative cap that snaps on the top of the post. They're not sealed and insects like yellow jackets crawl up underneath the cap and nest inside the pipe. edit: And sometimes there are drainage holes drilled in the pipe somewhere and the critters find their way in.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37794 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Think Nike or New Balance

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25677 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
Follow this at your own comfort level! This works for wasps. Yellowjackets are a variety of wasp.

Get something like a string mop or a window washing pad on a VERY long stick. Thump on the opening to the nest for several seconds. This brings the guardians out. They stay close to the opening but will aggressively attack whatever they think is threatening the nest. Give them a few seconds to come out in force then blast them with the spray. Repeat once or twice. With the guardians dead, you can get closer and aim better. Get the spray into the opening as much as possible.

Around here, yellowjackets nest in the ground. You almost never see them until you step on the nest. I found this out when I was 10 on a family camping trip near Crater Lake.

For you and the dog if you get stung: large dose of Benadryl.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30030 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I’m not going to do any of that…

Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
I’m not going to do any of that…

Most relatable response evah!!

knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
Call the professionals.

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9789 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Jack Frost
posted Hide Post
Do it at night

Jf

Be calm, be brave, it'll be okay.

Posts: 17671 | Location: Maine | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I sprayed bot posts last night just before dark. I don’t see any today but I suspect they’re still inside.

We shall see.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jack Frost:
Do it at night

Jf

Forgot about that. ThumbsUp

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25677 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post