well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    A teaspoon of Mayo.

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A teaspoon of Mayo.
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted
It’s an internet hack that makes regular scrambled eggs taste like the ones French chefs make in fancy hotel restaurants.

No milk, no cream. Just a teaspoon of Mayo per two eggs before cooking. Whisk (it won’t incorporate completely) and cook them normally. No need for the 7-8 minutes the French method takes.

Let me know what you think?

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
You know I have to ask: regular Mayo or the good stuff?

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18520 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Requires further research but I doubt it matters.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Doug
posted Hide Post
I believe this is now the most disgusting thing I’ve ever read on the Internet.

Posts: 10334 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug:
I believe this is now the most disgusting thing I’ve ever read on the Internet.

Mayo is egg whites and salad oil. Kewpie includes egg yolks.

What’s disgusting about that?

Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
Requires further research but I doubt it matters.

You're probably right about it not mattering for eggs, although Mr. SK has found numerous times that many of his recipes, based on Kewpie mayo, tend not to work with American-style mayo.

Separate from this, I mentioned this post to him, which got us talking about different ways that eggs are prepared in Japan. He makes a rolled egg dish (I don't know what to call it, I'll see if I can find a photo) that is prepped like scrambled eggs, except he mixes in soy sauce and sugar (and nothing else, I think).... Anyway, we were talking about in northern Japan, they don't make it take way, and instead they use dashi (Japanese soup stock made from kombu and katsuobushi fish flakes). I don't think I've ever had that, so he's going to make that for me soon.
Yummy

Posts: 18520 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
This is what I mean by rolled eggs:

Imagine you were going to make scrambled eggs, so you mix up the eggs, beat them with a whisk or a fork, and then instead of scrambling them, you use a special pan and "roll" them, so they end up like this. Yummy, and pretty!

Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
The rolled eggs are called tamago-yaki. This is a tamago-yaki pan:

It's maybe 6-7 inches wide.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Mayo is egg whites and salad oil. Kewpie includes egg yolks.

Authentic mayonnaise is made with yolks; I used to make it at home all the time. Julia Child had a recipe using a food processor. Easy peasy.

I've never seen a recipe made with just whites but I'm sure there's someone out there who has one....

Why Kewpie tastes different.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37940 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Whoa, thanks for posting that article, WTG!

Some of those details I knew, but I didn't know about the difference b/w US kewpie and Japanese kewpie. We actually buy both at different times, because our local grocery store (usually) has Kewpie, and it's clearly marketed for the US. But when we get it from the Japanese grocery store, it's obviously an import... I'll have to double check of course, but assuming that's right, we'll have to do a taste test and see if we can tell.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
When I buy Kewpie I go to Mitsuwa, so I haven't tried the US version. I don't know how different it does/doesn't taste.

But I'm one of the folks mentioned in the article who buys Mexican Coke. I think it tastes completely different and much better than the American version. Part of it is sugar vs high fructose corn syrup, and part of it is the glass bottle.

Please be sure to report the results of your tasting!

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37940 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Part of it is sugar vs high fructose corn syrup, and part of it is the glass bottle.

Agreed. I try not to drink sodas very much, but the ones with actual sugar are much better. That syrup is just nasty!