well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    It's a $20 alarm clock
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

It's a $20 alarm clock
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted
I bought it on Amazon. The only thing special about it is that someone really spent some time engineering it to operate easily. Everything is easy to adjust and it will even charge the phone.

This doesn't sound like much, but every time I have to adjust the clocks for DST I cuss at the other tabletop alarm clocks in the house. Never mind the one in the truck - I don't bother any more. It's over complicated by a factor of six.

And then there is this little card that came in the package:

I don't know why little Asian cartoon characters like this amuse me but they do. I get the feeling there is someone out there who really wants me to like my new clock and has done their best to make sure that I do. I may be being manipulated by some giant Chinese conglomerate but I don't care. They really did design and build a nice clock.

Then there is the other side of the card:

IMG_1556 by cheyenps, on Flickr

Other vendors might send emails, but this vendor printed up a card - in color - to make it easy for me to deal with them. The YouTube video is a nice touch. This is what customer service should look like.

I think I'll be giving out clocks as Christmas presents.

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Big Grin
Don is looking for a large digit clock. Will tell him about
that.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25709 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Glad you like the clock!

On the other (non-consumer-friendly) end of the spectrum, we once got a gift of an "atomic" clock that was supposed to automatically adjust itself to changes in daylight saving time. But it had to be close to a window, and ideally -- not kidding -- facing in the direction of Colorado. And even then it took days to self-adjust, if it ever did, so you spent days looking at the wrong time.

Replaced it with a $3.00 battery wall clock, Chinese, from Ikea. It works fine, and I just change the time manually. No big deal.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13814 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
facing in the direction of Colorado

ROTFLMAO

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18517 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RealPlayer:
Glad you like the clock!

On the other (non-consumer-friendly) end of the spectrum, we once got a gift of an "atomic" clock that was supposed to automatically adjust itself to changes in daylight saving time. But it had to be close to a window, and ideally -- not kidding -- facing in the direction of Colorado. And even then it took days to self-adjust, if it ever did, so you spent days looking at the wrong time.

Replaced it with a $3.00 battery wall clock, Chinese, from Ikea. It works fine, and I just change the time manually. No big deal.

I've had a couple of clocks like that. All of them annoyed me and the latest one stopped working altogether.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Update.

The clock stopped working. It only lasted three months.

Frowner

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
The atomic clock broadcasts from Boulder.
As the crow flies it is about 60 miles away.
Had and have clocks that are supposed to set themselves to that. One worked once.

Posts: 25709 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
Update.

Frowner

darn

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
I need to replace mine. Its time adjustment mechanism is flaky, and, since power goes out here periodically because of storms, I want a replacement.

Thanks!

Posts: 45748 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear that happy clock is unhappy. You can maybe ask for happy replacement?

I used to hate checking into a hotel and trying to set the alarm clock. Frequently some previous guest in the room set the alarm for 10:00pm (to catch a red-eye flight?), and I'd have to fiddle with it for several minutes, then realize it wasn't even set to the correct time.

I snickered a bit at the National Hotel in Moscow which caters to western travelers, but the controls on the clock were all in Russian.

I stayed at several Hiltons a few years ago and was happy to see that they had the same clock/radio in every room in every country.

Now, I just use my phone. The time is always correct, I can set three alarms in case I turn off the first two and go back to sleep. And I use the ringtone called "slow rise" which ramps up in volume, not a sudden BZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!!!

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Update.

Do you plan on sending the manufacturer an e-mail to see if they would send you a replacement?

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12692 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
I need an alarm that will wake the dead.
Like my new hearing aids, but cannot sleep in them.
Cell phones will not do.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Axtremus:
quote:
Update.

Do you plan on sending the manufacturer an e-mail to see if they would send you a replacement?

I sent them an email. Let’s see what happens.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I have received 4 emails now, each one telling me how sorry they are and that they have sent me a replacement.

Impressive!

Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
Well, I'm impressed!

The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post