well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    What will happen to Trumpism

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What will happen to Trumpism
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted
From an Atlantic newsletter:

Donald Trump’s second impeachment trial provided little closure. “If you looked to the U.S. Senate for a full measure of accountability, you did not receive it,” my colleague David Frum wrote over the weekend.

But Trump himself still lost, Frum argues: Polls show support for the former president’s actions dwindling—“not the numbers on which to base a Grover Cleveland–style comeback tour.”

Even if Trump’s political career is currently lagging, what does the future hold for his base—and the ideology he rode to office on?

Here’s what history tells us about what’s next for Trumpism. “From Berlusconism in Italy to Perónism in Argentina and Fujimorismo in Peru, personality-driven movements rarely fade once their leaders have left office.”

A skirmish in Oregon shows the deep imprint of Trump’s ideology on the GOP. “To the frustration of those Republicans who want to steer a new course, state-party committees have become the strongest redoubts of Trumpism,” Russell Berman reported last week.

America’s next authoritarian will be much more competent. As Zeynep Tufekci warned back in November: "It won’t be easy to make the next Trumpist a one-term president."

--------------------------------
Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25677 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Yea, not going away any time soon.

The GOP can't ignore what's happened since 2016. They lost the White House, the Senate, and the House. Sticking with Trump may not be an effective strategy, especially if Biden can get the pandemic under control and the economy back on track.

Where the GOP ends up will all boil down to the state committees and what candidates they float. Right now they're sticking with Trump and Trump-like people, but where they ultimately end up will depend on where the donor money goes.

I found this interesting:

Americans who believe Trump should have been found guilty (ABC/Ipsos poll): 58 percent

Senators voting guilty: 57 percent

Some 70 percent of people think Trump was at least partially responsible for January 6.

It'll be interesting to watch the GOP sort this out.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37794 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post

Posts: 12682 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
We'll see what future investigations and possible criminal actions produce. The tarnish on Trump may blacken further, making those state party apparatchiks ever more out of touch with the American middle. But those important state-level parties might actually be much more secure with what is now the GOP's core voter group, which has become very extreme.

Posts: 12513 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
quote:
America’s next authoritarian will be much more competent.
Ummmm... pretty low bar there.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30030 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
quote:
We'll see what future investigations and possible criminal actions produce. The tarnish on Trump may blacken further....
I hope that the investigations and criminal prosecutions lead to convictions. It's hard to run for office when you are in the pokey.

I also hope hope HOPE that all of his adult spawn (except Tiff, who hasn't had much to do with the grift and graft as far as I can see) get convicted, as well, and the spawn-in-laws, as applicable. The idea of Lara running for anything is a freakin' joke... but we know how some 30% of eligible voters love that kind of humor.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30030 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post