well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Baked feta pasta
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Baked feta pasta
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
Pasta. Feta cheese. Tomatoes. Basil. Garlic.

What's not to like?

https://www.wellandgood.com/ba...source=pocket-newtab

I think I'd toss in some kalamata olives and capers, too.

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37651 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
That sounds good!

I’ve made this a couple times; orzo, feta, shrimp...it has fennel seeds in it. Ottolenghi’s Orzo with Prawns, Tomato, and Marinated Feta

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9782 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I've got all the ingredients on hand.

Thanks for the recipe, AM! Now I don't have to figure out what to make for dinner.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37651 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Has anyone tried the feta pasta? Sounds good.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
I've got all the ingredients on hand.

Thanks for the recipe, AM! Now I don't have to figure out what to make for dinner.

The first time I made it, I was astounded by the marinated feta, so good!

The second time I made it, I was working too quickly and put all the toasted fennel into the feta, but it’s supposed to be divided. Oops. Still good, but better if you do it right!

Posts: 9782 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jon-nyc:
Has anyone tried the feta pasta? Sounds good.

Not yet, but I feel like I want one more flavor in there! Feta is a big flavor, and needs something to play off. I like wtg’s idea of olives and capers.

We did have feta in a dish last night, shakshuka with feta; it’s a favorite. (I had canned tomatoes, crumbled feta and red bell pepper on hand. No block feta or cherry tomatoes. Next week’s list!) I am now poaching the eggs separately, because I can control their done-ness better in a little ceramic egg cooker my friend made for me.

5D3C5875-15DF-45AD-B70E-37DEB57D62BF by pianomom2001, on Flickr
shakshuka

78C64006-868F-4205-BD46-D635E673F435 by pianomom2001, on Flickr
egg cooker

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Mr wtg is a huge fan of poached eggs; he would love that dish!

I need to move closer to AM; her meals always look fabulous.

The happyfoodie site you linked to has some great recipes. I'm a pasta junkie, and this recipe for spaghettini with anchovies, parsley and crisp breadcrumbs looked fabulous:

https://thehappyfoodie.co.uk/r...nd-crisp-breadcrumbs

jon, haven't tried the baked feta pasta recipe yet but it looked promising. When I make it, I'll post my results.

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
AM's shrimp, orzo, and feta recipe was fabulous. At first I thought it was going to be too soupy but it was perfect by the time it was done cooking.

I'm having to translate the recipes on happyfoodie....

traybake = casserole WhoMe

Bazootiehead-in-training

knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
AM's shrimp, orzo, and feta recipe was fabulous. At first I thought it was going to be too soupy but it was perfect by the time it was done cooking.

I'm having to translate the recipes on happyfoodie....

traybake = casserole WhoMe

Yes, I had to translate the metric measurements for orzo and tomatoes and feta, and wrote those in my notes!

knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
5097F0B0-F65D-4A7B-B234-2A723A6B4593 by pianomom2001, on Flickr

Verdict: Delicious! A fancy mac and cheese, but very cheese saucy. It only called for a half pound of pasta, but I think there’s enough sauce to cover an whole pound, or at least 3/4 of one. So I’d do that next time.

It’s salty enough that I don’t think I’d want to add capers or olives. I did add some chopped bacon that missed its chance at being on a pizza, but it was hardly noticeable.

Super easy to make. I stirred pretty vigorously to get the cheese/olive oil/cooked tomatoes to incorporate, so my sauce is more orange than the recipe picture. But I smushed the tomatoes on purpose.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Funny I made it tonight too. Rachel and I liked it but the boy didn’t like the feta. He eats crumbled feta on other things so I think it was just the amount, and the resultant texture of the pasta.

Agree with AM about the amount of pasta. I used about 10oz instead of 8, because that’s what was left in my box.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
Update! I had the *worst* heartburn last night. Dare I eat leftovers today? How else would I know?

Still, it was delicious!

"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
We're making it tonight, with 12oz of pasta.

Posts: 12473 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Haven't made it yet, but I think I might cut back on the olive oil. Half a cup sounds a bit generous...

Bazootiehead-in-training

Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AdagioM:
That sounds good!

I’ve made this a couple times; orzo, feta, shrimp...it has fennel seeds in it. Ottolenghi’s Orzo with Prawns, Tomato, and Marinated Feta

That sounds fantastic! Then I realized it was an Ottolenghi recipe and I'm sold. Do you have any of his cookbooks? I've been making things out of the Jerusalem book... yum.

Also, I'm not a huge fennel fan, but in it's place I'm OK with it. Do the fennel seeds predominate or just add an interesting flavor note?

Posts: 35360 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post