well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Baked feta pasta
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Baked feta pasta
 Login/Join

knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:
quote:
Originally posted by AdagioM:
That sounds good!

I’ve made this a couple times; orzo, feta, shrimp...it has fennel seeds in it. Ottolenghi’s Orzo with Prawns, Tomato, and Marinated Feta

That sounds fantastic! Then I realized it was an Ottolenghi recipe and I'm sold. Do you have any of his cookbooks? I've been making things out of the Jerusalem book... yum.

Also, I'm not a huge fennel fan, but in it's place I'm OK with it. Do the fennel seeds predominate or just add an interesting flavor note?

I think you could cut it back a bit, and still get the spirit of it.

The second time I made it, I didn’t read carefully, and put *all* the toasted fennel seedds in the marinating cheese. That was too much! Especially because I had to toast a bit more to put in the cooking orzo.

So cut it back to 3 tsp of fennel seeds, divide equally, and I think you’d be pretty pleased!

I don’t have any of his cookbooks, but now I’m tempted.

I agree that I could definitely cut back on the olive oil in the feta pasta, too. Maybe as much as half?

--------------------------------
http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9785 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Yes, I was thinking a 1/4 cup of olive oil rather than 1/2. And 12 ounces of pasta.

I wanted to make it today but alas, no fresh basil. And I think that's an important ingredient.

I bought Ottolenghi's Jerusalem years ago, put it with my many other cookbooks, and it just got lost in the shuffle. I don't think I ever cooked anything from it but I just pulled it out and looked at it and am like "duh"....

Nina, what are your favorite recipes? Maybe you can jump start me....

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37735 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately I'm not where my cookbooks are at the moment! But I do remember that his method for making rice was great... brown the rice, bring to a boil, turn off, cover with towel, something, something... also (not sure if this was him or another person--sprinkling sumac on top after plating for color and a bit of flavor is fab)

Also I made some sort of chicken/lemon meatball thing that I recall being very tasty.

After that I'm in a senile fog....

I'll check when I'm reunited with my books.

Posts: 35366 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
I didn’t think it was ridiculously oily. If you go 12oz of pasta my guess is 1/4 cup will not be enough.

You could always add some later. But you definitely want the tomatoes and feta coated while baking.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Variations on a theme. The mushrooms and butternut squash look kind of interesting.

https://www.wellandgood.com/baked-feta-recipes/

Also this one with gnocchi:

https://getpocket.com/explore/...source=pocket-newtab

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37735 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Finally made the original recipe.

I didn't cover the baking dish with foil and had a problem with the tomato/feta/oil combo spattering. That was likely my fault; I didn't dry the tomatoes very carefully after washing them.

We also added capers and olives, and I sprinkled some crushed red peppers on mine.

We thought it was tasty but not over the top fabulous. But my reaction might be colored by the mess I have to clean up in the inside of the oven.... Big Grin

Bazootiehead-in-training

knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
Melissa Clark at NYTimes Cooking has turned the feta pasta into a one pan version. (Instagram video link.) She adds dry pasta and hot water into the dish mid-cooking and puts it back in the oven. I don’t think this would be an improvement; it looks soupy.

The comments are interesting; there’s a whole lot about where the recipe came from, and giving credit where credit is due. Oy!

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9785 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post