well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Old School Parenting

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Old School Parenting
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted
Don't try these today.

--------------------------------
Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25702 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Big Grin

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37873 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34918 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
those are excellent!

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9799 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Yep, I was in one of those 1950s cars when my mom had a little accident and wound up "in the boot," as they say across the water, of the car in front of us. Must have been around 1961. I launched smartly into and then under the dash board. No serious damage, as I recall ... well, except to the car.

Posts: 12530 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
The outfit dad is wearing in picture number 3 would be a felony today.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
My parents had an early 1960s Ford Falcon station wagon. The back bench seat was metal with some padding; the top edge of the back of the seat was a squared off folded sheet of great American steel.

When I was about three, my mother was driving. For reasons I cannot explain, I was riding in the cargo area behind the back seat, holding on to that metal seat back, just able to see over the top of it.

The dump truck in front of my mother stopped abruptly. She said the taillights of the truck were so caked with mud they were completely obscured. She slammed on the brakes and avoided hitting the back of the dump truck. But my face hit the back of the seat so hard that my teeth cut through the skin below my lower lip. I was bleeding profusely. This happened to happen a few doors down from my mother's friend who was a nurse. She mopped up some of the blood and got me to a doctor's office. I got three stitches.

Some 55 years later, I still have a small patch below my lower lip where whiskers do not grow, but there are three faint lines where the stiches were.

About a year later, my parents bought a Volvo. Unlike most other cars, it had seatbelts in the back seat. Only two. My parents shelled out a few extra bucks to have a third seat belt installed in the back seat so that both of my brothers and I could be buckled in.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post