well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Goodbye, "weather balloon"...

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Goodbye, "weather balloon"...
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
I heard a little while ago that three airports in the Carolinas were closed down, right in the area where the balloon was heading. Also that the US has 12 miles of open water off the coast before the international waters begin.

Guess they decided to go for it.

quote:
US shoots down Chinese spy balloon off East Coast

https://www.cnn.com/politics/l...-02-04-23/index.html

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37850 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Background and thoughts:

https://apnews.com/article/pol...eb7bbeca169bbc7c2c53

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37850 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
I would imagine the DOD wants to examine the wreckage to determine what was on it.

Posts: 12526 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Apparently it's going to the FBI facilities at Quantico for a visit...

Bazootiehead-in-training

Shut up and play your guitar!
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post

Posts: 13633 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
I guess I'm kind of surprised that they didn't shoot it down sooner.

Posts: 35371 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Vacation to Post
Picture of Qaanaaq-Liaaq
posted Hide Post
It was a case of art copying real life and now it’s a case of real life copying art. A real event inspired a hit pop song in the 1980s. The song’s title was “99 Red Balloons” (“99 Luftballoons” in German) was released by a band named Nena.

According to Wikipedia:

While at a June 1982 concert by the Rolling Stones in West Berlin, Nena's guitarist Carlo Karges noticed that balloons were being released. As he watched them move toward the horizon, he noticed them shifting and changing shapes, where they looked like strange spacecraft (referred to in the German lyrics as a "UFO"). He thought about what might happen if they floated over the Berlin Wall to the Soviet sector.[3][4][5]

Also cited by the band was a newspaper article from the Las Vegas Review-Journal about five local high school students in 1973 who played a prank to simulate a UFO by launching 99 (one was lost from the original 100) aluminized Mylar balloons attached with ribbons to a traffic flare. The red flame from the flare reflected by the balloons gave the appearance of a large pulsating red object floating over Red Rock Canyon outside the Las Vegas Valley in Nevada.[6]

Here’s the song’s lyrics:

You and I in a little toy shop
Buy a bag of balloons with the money we've got
Set them free at the break of dawn
'Til one by one, they were gone
Back at base, sparks in the software
Flash the message "Something's out there"
Floating in the summer sky
99 red balloons go by
99 red balloons
Floating in the summer sky
Panic bells, it's red alert
There's something here from somewhere else
The war machine springs to life
Opens up one eager eye
Focusing it on the sky
The 99 red balloons go by
99 Decision Street
99 ministers meet
To worry, worry, super scurry
Call the troops out in a hurry
This is what we've waited for
This is it boys, this is war
The President is on the line
As 99 red balloons go by
99 knights of the air
Ride super high-tech jet fighters
Everyone's a superhero
Everyone's a Captain Kirk
With orders to identify
To clarify and classify
Scrambling the summer sky
99 red balloons go by
As 99 red balloons go by
99 dreams I have had
In every one, a red balloon
It's all over, and I'm standing pretty
In this dust that was a city
If I could find a souvenir
Just to prove the world was here
And here is a red balloon
I think of you, and let it go

Posts: 1411 | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
I guess I'm kind of surprised that they didn't shoot it down sooner.

Were they waiting until it was no longer over land?

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18389 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
It was pretty huge - I imagine they wanted it over water for safety.

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20432 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
The debris field was 7 miles. Hard to ensure that no one over land got hit by that.

It was apparently so high up it was higher than the design parameter of the missile that shot it down.

Posts: 45733 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I also wonder if the equipment was more likely to remain intact and more retrievable if it hit water. If they had shot it down over some snow-covered, heavily forested mountain in the hinterlands of Montana, how the hell would they have retrieved it?

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
The military tried to shoot down what they
thought was a spy balloonn. It was Venus.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25702 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CHAS:
The military tried to shoot down what they
thought was a spy balloonn. It was Venus.

Best bits:

quote:
One person wrote: "Safety tip for the day. Don't attack Venus."

"And thus began the Great American-Venusian War, all over a misunderstanding," another added.

A third wrote: "To be fair, Venus didn't manage to score any hits either, so let's call it a draw."

ROTFLMAO

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
If the balloon was a test of our intelligence, I'm afraid we failed miserably. - Ron Hinkle

I know Ron Hinkle. He is career army and professional banjo player. He plays the 4 string banjo and the hits of the 1920s.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25702 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Did a superpower showdown provoke the U.S. into using a fighter jet to shoot down a hobbyist group's research balloon in Canada? That's the question the public — and the FBI — wants to answer, after the U.S. military shot down several unidentified airborne objects last weekend.

A military spokesperson tells NPR it's their understanding that the FBI has spoken to the hobbyist group in question — the Northern Illinois Bottlecap Balloon Brigade, based just north of Chicago — in an apparent attempt to determine whether their small balloon might have inadvertently caused a big ruckus.

https://www.npr.org/2023/02/18...21/pico-balloon-k9yo

Bazootiehead-in-training