well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Captain Marvel

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Captain Marvel
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted
A spunky Air Force pilot who suffers from retrograde amnesia stemming from an alien tech explosion that gives her superpowers realizes, after trials and tribulations, that she can kick a[i][/i]ss even harder after she let go of some psychological restraints that, well, it's not clear where those restraints come from ... may be some aliens put that in her, may be some superficial childhood emotional trauma, the movie doesn't explain that very well.

The production is on the whole pretty well done and very much a crowd pleaser. Brie Larson did well playing the titular character, though not quite how I envision Captain Marvel or Carol Danvers. Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman, for example, was an inspired choice IMO because it matches my vision of Wonder Woman. I don't get that feeling with Brie Larson as Captain Marvel. The steely resolve and spunkiness that are supposed to be Marvel/Danvers' central character traits, I thought those were even better portrayed by the young kid versions of Carol Danvers than by Brie Larson as the grown-up version of Marvel/Danvers. Still, it's a fun movie to watch.

Now throwing in for no particular reason is my favorite alternate cover for a Captain Marvel comic:

--------------------------------
www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12689 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
I really liked it. I liked Wonder Woman more, but this is a very different movie. Also, the more I think about it, the more I like about it.

I especially enjoyed the scenes with her best friend. I'd like to see a future movie have some of that "buddy" atmosphere. And her best friend's daughter were delightful. I'd also like to see more of Annette Bening's character in future movies.

It was fun to see Nick Fury become Nick Fury, and I always want more of Agent Coulson than Marvel gives us.

It will be interesting to see how they handle this character. She will always suffer from Superman's omnipotence problem. How do you write a story with the necessary danger and conflict for a being that is so powerful and invulnerable?

I guess that kind of power i what it will take to bring the universe back from the disaster at the end of Infinity War.

--------------------------------
Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15510 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
I thought it was good, not great. The first 15 minutes or so, not great. But it got better as it progressed, and it had more of a plot than some Marvel movies.

Brie Larson is a great actress, but she's much better in non-action scenes ... she does this fierce face in the action scenes that isn't always believable. I was reminded of this when the first Avengers movie came on last night. Scarlett Johansson is pretty much note perfect as Natasha Romanoff ... always. Gal Gadot nailed the Wonder Woman character in every scene. The women of Black Panther were always great. Brie Larson ... less consistently great. And this may be a sexist commentary, oh well, but I did not like her little girlish voice. I thought she was absolutely fantastic in the non-action scenes, though. Especially the ones where she interacted with her best friend's daughter (who she nicknamed Lieutenant Trouble).

Nevertheless, it was a good movie, definitely worth seeing. The best character was a cat. Smiler I'm looking forward to seeing how they integrate Captain Marvel into Endgame.

Posts: 45738 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post