well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    The pj retirement threat

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The pj retirement threat
 Login/Join

Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted
I've been threatening to retire for well over a year now. Mrs pj and I have picked an absolutely-no-later-than date of January 7, 2021. But it could happen a lot sooner.

I plan to sell my house and move out of the disgustingly overpriced suburb. We want to stay in the general area.

We both have a lot of ideas of things we want to do... volunteering for things we care about, maybe working part-time doing something interesting and enjoyable, and puttering around the garden for the next 30 years or so.

I've wanted to go teach ESL overseas, but the parts of the world I wanted to go to have become much less attractive with the political lurch to the right happening worldwide.

Any other suggestions?

--------------------------------
pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
I don't have great ideas for you, unfortunately.

I consider myself "temporarily" retired. It may or may not be a permanent state. It might end as soon as this week, if a particular opportunity comes to fruition, or it could last for months or years or forever.

I keep myself busy on the internet, going to the gym, etc. In cooler weather, I build things for Mary Anna, like elevated beds, with a new flower bed or two in the queue. I don't seem to run out of things to do on any given day. I don't find myself at loose ends.

But that's just me. Other people might need something more meaningful to keep themselves occupied.

Posts: 45748 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
Maybe I will buy a newer motorcycle and embark on a nationwide tour of WTFers’ sofas.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pianojuggler:
Maybe I will buy a newer motorcycle and embark on a nationwide tour of WTFers’ sofas.

Have a sofa.
Retirement reqires adjustments. Took me a while to fully realize that I was retired.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25710 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pianojuggler:

You're welcome here any time. We even have an actual guest room.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21351 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
My idea of retirement is pretty much how I'm already living--doing deep dives into whatever I'm obsessed with at the moment. I never want to stop learning new things.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21351 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
I hadn't thought of retirement too much till now with my unbearable work situation.

My new job offer is with a nonprofit that does important work in my city..So while I am not ready to retire completely, I get to do the 'do good' work that normally I would expect of retirement as a volunteer.

So depending on what you think you want, perhaps working part time for a cause that speaks to you can bring in a bit of income, make you feel useful and still offer enough time off to do fun things before you think you really want to step off the work treadmill.

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post