well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Parental brag

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Parental brag
 Login/Join

Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted
Kid A is now officially ABD. She passed her prospectus earlier this week. (This is the meeting where you lay out all the research you plan on doing, and the Powers That Be determine if it's adequate for a PhD.) It's a good thing she passed, because her research is almost completely done. She had an opportunity to do some cool stuff during the lockdown and didn't want to wait until her committee OK'd it or she would have lost the research window.

Kid B received a provincial invitation to become a Canadian permanent resident. He still has one final approval (where you actually apply following the invitation), but it's very rare that the provincial nominations are turned down. Who knows, we may be using his coattails and setting up a chain migration a la Milania's parents! Big Grin

Parenthood teaches you a lot, if you let it. Some good, some bad. One of my more recent realizations was that my kids aren't "kids" any longer. Both are independent, contributing members of society. I give Mr. Nina and myself about 15% of the credit, the rest is on them. Pretty cool.

Posts: 35377 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Big news!

Congratulations! ThumbsUp

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34918 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Pat yourself on the back. You deserve it.
Congratulations!!

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25702 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Yay, congratulations! On both counts!

quote:
It's a good thing she passed, because her research is almost completely done. She had an opportunity to do some cool stuff during the lockdown and didn't want to wait until her committee OK'd it or she would have lost the research window.

Yeah, that would have been a bit stressful, but good on her for seizing the opportunity!!!

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18431 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
Fantastic!

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20447 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Will you adopt me after you get Canadian citizenship?

Knock Knock

Oh, and major congratulations to all the Ninas!

happydance

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37873 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
Mazel tov x 2.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
Congratulations!! ThumbsUp ThumbsUp

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12688 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
Sounds great! Both!

The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
Congratulations!

happydance

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9799 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
Great job, Mom and Dad! Congratulations! Woot

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Vacation to Post
Picture of Dan
posted Hide Post
yay for you! yay for them! Smiler

Posts: 1534 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
That's awesome! Good for them!

You and Mr. Nina did good!!!!!

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15510 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
Bravo, Nina kids and parents!!

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
Excellent news!

Posts: 45738 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post