well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Josh Hawley and the fallout

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Josh Hawley and the fallout
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
quote:
John C. Danforth, a former Republican senator from Missouri, had once viewed Sen. Josh Hawley (R-Mo.) as a “once-in-a-generation” talent — a young, upstart politician with a promising future in Washington.

Yet after a mob of Trump supporters burst into the Capitol on Wednesday, Danforth said that campaigning for Hawley to take his old seat was “the worst mistake I ever made in my life.”

Hawley had been the first senator to announce he would object to President-elect Joe Biden’s victory, citing baseless claims of mass election fraud. So when the rioters bashed inside, attempting to overturn the election, it was clear who was at fault, Danforth said.

“But for him it wouldn’t have happened,” Danforth told the Kansas City Star. He made the certification vote “a way to express the view that the election was stolen. He was responsible.”

The former senator was far from the only one to lay blame on his former protege. In the span of about five hours on Thursday afternoon, Hawley was denounced by one of his top donors, dropped from a book deal and lambasted by several Missouri Republicans. Calls for him to resign poured in from the editorial boards of Missouri’s two major newspapers and students at the law school where he was once taught.

https://www.washingtonpost.com...gn-book-deal-mentor/

can non-subscribers get to the article via FB?

https://www.facebook.com/washi...ts/10159086071384729

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37879 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Met John Danforth when I was a law student. He was the Missouri AG.
He is the only Republican I have ever voted for.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25702 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Pretty spectacular flameout, right?

I wonder if he’ll come back. No shortage of chutzpah, that’s for sure. Some people like that.

Others prefer competence.

Who knows?

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34927 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Same with Ted Cruz. It amazes me that there were so many (over 100 in the House!) who felt like it was in their best interest to not just support the lies and rhetoric, but to actually double down on it.

I mean, in just a few hours Congress went from morally indignant pearl clutching speeches to challenging the votes again. In spite of all that happened, in spite of being huddled in the basement (or wherever) under lockdown, praying and calling their families, these guys said, "Yep, those are my people."

I honestly do not understand it.

Posts: 35377 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
This is the first time they got to go through what so many of our school children have had to be prepared to face...

You must know the rule: Republicans don't care about anything until it is personal!

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7554 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post