well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    The classified Korean War dogfight

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The classified Korean War dogfight
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
quote:
The real-life Maverick who took on 7 Soviet jets in a classified Korean War dogfight

The existence of the improbable dogfight remained under wraps for decades, yet the details of what happened are the stuff of legends.

https://taskandpurpose.com/his...n-war-fighter-pilot/

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37652 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
He is still around ... at 97

Bipartisan move to give him the MoH.

Posts: 12474 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
A lot of war stories seem to take a long time to emerge. Sometimes, they're surpressed like this one seems to be; sometimes, those involved simply don't want to talk about them. I knew a gentleman who was a bomber pilot in WWII, was shot down on Christmas eve of 1944, and spent the rest of the war in a POW camp until he was liberated. He never talked about his experiences until he was in his 70s. At that point, he decided that youngsters just growing up should hear about the war their grandfathers had fought and begin talking to school groups.

That story about the Navy pilot had a link to another story at the bottom: Air Force versus Navy pilots landing

When I first started travelling on commercial airliners, a lot of the flights out of Greater Pittsburgh were flown by Allegheny Airlines (later USAir and now part of American Airlines). I was convinced that a lot of their pilots were ex-Navy because they seemed to rotate and get aloft when taking off and descend and land quicker than some other airlines. That suited me fine because the further away from the ground I am when flying, the less worry is on my mind.

Big Al

--------------------------------
Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7365 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
quote:
I was convinced that a lot of their pilots were ex-Navy because they seemed to rotate and get aloft when taking off and descend and land quicker than some other airlines.

You know, I remember that as well. Not for Allegheny, but on Piedmont. Well, on most of the regional airlines. There was a whole generation of fighter pilots who moved from Phantom jets into 727 cockpits! Ascents and descents were very interesting! I remember one landing in particular where the plane pitched down in what felt almost like roller coaster position! I mentioned it to the pilot as we deplaned. He chuckled.

Posts: 12474 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Vacation to Post
Picture of Dan
posted Hide Post
Cool

Posts: 1534 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post