well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    23andMe Gets FDA Approval

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

23andMe Gets FDA Approval
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted

Posts: 45738 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
posted Hide Post
A friend just shared with me ancestory DNA results. It was really disappointing... Very little content and just something about 2nd 3rd and 4th cousins. I thought you would get country of origin and predispositions... I think you really need to understand the differences and whether there are basic and premium packages. What I saw did not seem to reveal much of anything. I think it was at the level of part Eastern European, part Western European and some equally vague third thing.

Posts: 6919 | Registered: 22 July 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
Why You Should Be Careful About 23andMe’s Health Test
https://nyti.ms/2UtXdQm

--------------------------------
www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12689 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Ax thanks for thst link. That’s pretty much been my impression re using the test for medical purposes — it’s not a stand alone diagnostic tool, not meaningful in the absence of other individual information and the absence of consultation with a physician.

Re the ancestry portion... I can’t remember if my mother bought 23andMe or not (I think that was it) but she did one of those and the results included some very specific countries. She got one for my uncle too, and was going to get one from me. I said no way, do not get that for me because I will not do it. She was surprised but didn’t push.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18439 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
I keep thinking that this would be a good way for some agency to build up a DNA registry on a bunch of people - and have them pay for it too!

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7554 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
It's already happened.....

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37884 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
I got no surprises from 23 and me.
British isles was 97 or 98 percent.
Already knew from what parts of England and Scotland both sides came from.
Rather dull except for the man that killed Llewellyn, the first and last Welsh Prince of Wales. Some historians, including Churchill give
another man credit for that.
Have not looked into any medical analysis.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25702 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post