well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Tips and tricks for grocery shopping

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tips and tricks for grocery shopping
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
You guys are probably way out ahead of me on this one.

https://www.usatoday.com/story...pandemic/5130942002/

Did somebody say they're ordering from Imperfect Food? Looked interesting. So did Misfits Market.

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37929 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Which one of those services is it that charges a percentage on each item? Instacart?

I keep trying to get Walmart's curbside scheduled, one of these days it will work out. And I keep hearing that the regional chain is going to start, if so we'll do that.

In the meantime, Mr. SK goes once every two weeks, mask on, hand sanitizer ready...

Although, I may tell him that it should be me who does the in-person shopping from now on, did we have a thread on here with the article about how men are harder hit by covid than women?

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18509 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Interesting. Imperfect Food isn’t scheduling deliveries to new customers until some time in May. Misfits isn’t taking new customers at all. Frowner

Too bad. I was kind of looking forward to getting a box and figuring out what to do with what’s in it. I will say that the food service grade produce I got at Vons and what I got later at the independent “International” market has been a revelation. The stuff looks overgrown and terrible but the flavor is incredible! A bit much to eat raw but you can’t beat it for cooking.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34969 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
We are new to Imperfect Foods; we’ve had two deliveries so far. They are on time. I get what I ordered.

Here’s a trick to getting what you want. You sign up for the standard box, which is populated with a pre-fab order. Then you are given the chance to customize your box a few days before delivery. You can take out the things you don’t want, and add things that you do. We are signed up for produce and meat/fish. If you’re not signed up for a particular kind of box (dairy, snacks, grains, whatever) you can still buy those things, as long as they have enough available. The standard boxes are a good way to get started.

You can set up for weekly or every other week orders. And you can skip an order if you need to.

I like it!

I know they’re scheduling new customers a couple weeks out. If you sign up now, you’ll still be a couple weeks out. If you wait, you’ll be even further down the chain.

And if you want to sign up with my referral, please do! Imperfect Foods Linky

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9800 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
Also, for grocery pickup (which is how we get the rest of our groceries), I can usually snag a spot if I look after midnight. The spot is 5-7 days away, but I’m thinking ahead!

The way to do this is to start a cart, and then look for a delivery slot that night. You can amend your order up to the day before pickup, so I finish making my list *after* I know that I have a slot that will work for me.

Good luck, shoppers! May the odds be ever in your favor!

Posts: 9800 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Instacart here is charging a flat $10. I consider that fair under the circumstances. I realized last time I picked up at Kroger that one cough into my Murano by the clerk and I could be infected. Just drop it on the porch. No contact.

So far we are getting groceries every week from Market Wagon ad every week and a half from Kroger, although both of those will reduce.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13556 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the link. Glad I waited to sign up!

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37929 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
Thanks for the link. Glad I waited to sign up!

Thank you!

One thing I really like about Imperfect is that I know it will come on time, and I know what’s in the box.

For my grocery pickups, both have been delayed so far. One by six hours, and one by 1.5 days. It’s not like I had somewhere else to be, so it wasn’t a big deal, and I’m glad I don’t have to spend time inside the grocery store.

And most of the substitutions have been ok. But when they’re completely out of something, they’re out, and I don’t know until pickup time. If I planned a meal around it, that’s a bummer. This week: No flour, no pasta, no eggs.

Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Just signed up for Imperfect. Love the concept. We will see how it works out.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13556 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
My regular Costco has a separate checkout line just for instacart people. But strangely, the guy behind me in line on Friday was an instacart guy but said he wanted to use the regular line.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Just got off what has become our weekly family Zooom meeting. I think this tradition will go on long after Covid is a distant memory. It's so nice to be able to see them and the grandkids many states away!

My DIL in AZ told us that she has been getting Amazon Fresh deliveries about every two weeks. She said she has to make sure to order a week in advance but so far it's been reliable.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34969 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post