well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Roger Stone arrested
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Roger Stone arrested
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
quote:
Roger Stone, a longtime Republican strategist and sometime confidant of President Donald Trump, was arrested in Florida on Friday after being indicted in Special Counsel Robert Mueller’s probe into possible coordination between the Trump campaign and Russia before the 2016 U.S. election.

Stone, 66, is facing seven counts: one count of obstruction of an official proceeding, five counts of false statements, and one count of witness tampering, according to the U.S. Justice Department.

The indictment goes to the heart of Mueller’s investigation and could pose serious risk to Trump. It lays out how Stone, after leaving his campaign in 2015, continued communicating regularly with unnamed senior campaign officials in the summer of 2016 about an organization matching the description of WikiLeaks -- and how a “senior Trump campaign official was directed to contact Stone.”

That’s when Wikileaks was publishing Democrats’ emails that Mueller has previously alleged were obtained by Russian government hackers in an effort to interfere with the presidential election.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news...pecial-counsel-probe

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37872 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Roger Stone is only 66?

This explains a lot.

Posts: 24710 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
I read a summary of the allegations and timeline, in WaPo, I think.

There is serious cause for concern in the Trump camp. It sounds like they knew about the hacks into Podesta's email and the DNC, and they coordinated on what and when to release it.

You know, I always wondered how Trump knew to taunt Hillary about her health. Now it makes sense. If the Trump campaign had access to Podesta's email, surely there would be emails about Hillary's health or emails expressing concern about her health (like "Hillary's not feeling up to a trip to Wisconsin" and such).

Mueller is tightening the noose. . . .

Posts: 19763 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
He wasn't just arrested, they gave him the full perp walk treatment. Mueller isn't playing around.

Posts: 35377 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
Quirt mentioned that it is unusual to arrest a white collar criminal in a raid rather than let them surrender. Here’s an explanation of why Stone got the El Chapo treatment:

quote:
Stone was also charged with witness tampering, a crime that strikes at the heart of the judicial process. There are numerous allegations in the indictment of Stone urging others to lie. Those urgings clearly run afoul of the witness tampering statute. And, if that’s all there was to it, a summons might be the way to go.

But there is a more compelling reason to arrest him. The devil is in the details. Read, for instance, page 20 of the indictment, where prosecutors note that Stone emailed one witness and called him a “rat” and a “stoolie” and threatened to take that witness’s dog away from him. In another email that same day to that same witness, according to the indictment, Stone wrote “I am so ready. Let’s get it on. Prepare to die [expletive].”

Law enforcement simply does not hand a summons to someone who threatens to kill a witness and trust that person to act responsibly with it. No conscientious prosecutor would think a summons appropriate there, or think that a threat to kill a witness is simply what targets of grand jury investigations routinely do.

The witness tampering alleged here is more than just someone asking another, “pretty please,” to lie. Rather, it includes a death threat against a witness: “Prepare to die [expletive].”

Was Stone kidding? Maybe. Was it hyperbole? Perhaps. He can explain that after his arrest.

Arresting Stone was lawful, appropriate and fully justified by his own words and conduct.

Posts: 19763 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
When did Mueller's team know about those "prepare to die" emails? If the answer is, "months ago," then that weakens the objective case for the pre-dawn raid, and strengthens the notion that it was for "shock and awe."

Posts: 12529 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
Even if Mueller's team knew about the emails earlier, they still need an indictment in order to arrest.

Witness tampering is a huge big deal. I remember we had a witness tampering case when I was a federal district court clerk in the 1980s. I had just started working there, and the defendant had been arrested for domestic violence. He then went after his girlfriend, telling her that if she testified he would break her arms. My judge gave him 20 years, IIRC.

I suspect that Mueller's team kept Stone (and the witness) under pretty close surveillance once they knew of the threats. But once they had the indictment, there was no reason to expose the witness to further risk. And if they deviated from protocol by letting *this* white collar criminal turn himself in and something happened, they would be in for a lot of second-guessing.

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
Oh, and I'll mention that these arrest warrant teams and SWAT teams have very precise protocols.

The reason they wore flak jackets is not because they thought Stone was armed and dangerous or for shock/awe. The reason they wore flak jackets is that when you execute a warrant, you wear a flak jacket as part of your uniform.

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
Oh, and something is wrong in Roger Stone's head.

There he was on CNN talking about the case, something any competent defense attorney would have begged him not to do.

*AND* he actually memorialized his threats in texts. God only knows what else he said/did that is not included in the indictment.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Piano*Dad:
When did Mueller's team know about those "prepare to die" emails? If the answer is, "months ago," then that weakens the objective case for the pre-dawn raid, and strengthens the notion that it was for "shock and awe."

I don't think it has to be one or the other. It was very likely both ... with more than a dash of "you talk real big for a guy in handcuffs in his bathrobe" thrown in for good measure.

Posts: 45737 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
And before the sun set the same day, he's out on a quarter million bail.

Perhaps he will attempt further witness tampering and get a permanent room at the Clink Inn, just like his buddy and former business partner Manafort.

His movements are limited to Florida, New York, and the DC area. I hope they confiscated his passport(s). If ever there was a flight risk, I'd say Stone is the guy.

I had a driveway moment listening to NPR's coverage of what a shady sleazeball Stone is. And he has a tattoo of Richard Nixon on his back. That alone should get someone 20 years in the pokey.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Lends support to the idea that Mueller was more interested in acquiring his devices than he was in keeping the man's ass in jail

Posts: 12529 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
[thread drift] What’s a driveway moment? [/thread drift]

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18429 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
when you stay sitting in your car after returning home so you can finish listening to a story on the radio?

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20446 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cindysphinx:
Oh, and something is wrong in Roger Stone's head.

There he was on CNN talking about the case, something any competent defense attorney would have begged him not to do.

*AND* he actually memorialized his threats in texts. God only knows what else he said/did that is not included in the indictment.

I was wondering why he was running his mouth! Didn’t seem prudent.

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9798 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post