well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Bill and Melinda are calling it quits
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bill and Melinda are calling it quits
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
27 years.

https://www.axios.com/bill-mel...6e-ab052f888431.html

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37850 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
This too will pass.

Posts: 24687 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Frowner

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34884 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
I read she changed her mind after getting the vaccine. Smiler

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25702 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
It is hard for me to imagine what stressors could cause fabulously wealthy people to divorce at their age. Money doesn’t buy happiness, but it buys space, counseling, distractions, and options.

Posts: 19760 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
But it does buy cocktail waitresses and pool boys.

And some things transcend money.

Posts: 34884 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
Mr pique and I have been together 25 years. When I heard the news today about the Gates divorce, I tried to imagine, if we were fabulously wealthy, would our feelings about remaining married be different?

Well, after being isolated together for 15 mos, I suppose we might take extravagant vacations from each other. But at our age I really have no desire to start over with a different partner. How do you buy your way out of missing someone? Obviously, you can't.

But 27 years is a good long run, and they'll still run a foundation together.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21315 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cindysphinx:
It is hard for me to imagine what stressors could cause fabulously wealthy people to divorce at their age. Money doesn’t buy happiness, but it buys space, counseling, distractions, and options.

They've DONE counseling in spades and trying to work their differences out with compromises (with fair success).

From what I've read about the areas of tension between them, it boils down to Melinda's having grown into a feminist (in the best sense of the word AFAIK), while Bill has given way as much as he can towards remaking himself and his business style.

Thinking more egalitarianism in decision-making (a major title in the conglomeration - with consequent responsibility? Co-authoring the Gates monthly Blog, including its annual annual newsletter?

Did you all read about their differences when Melinda requested/demanded equal partnership in the Gates Blog a few years ago? That was one baby Bill didn't want to co-parent.

First, Bill allowed her to have a small column in it, then to have more input into the content. drafting it somewhat together. Then to share the annual newsletter in dialogue form.

Now??
After all, he met and married her when he was a world shaking mogul ten years her senior (and her employer). They're bound to have grown apart when those differences started to pinch - especially when Melinda grew into wanting to be his full equal, in something besides child-rearing (and whatever else Bill was sharing - at his discretion.

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
Then too I doubt it's a coincidence their youngest child just turned 18.

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by piqué:

I really have no desire to start over with a different partner.

...But 27 years is a good long run, and they'll still run a foundation together.

Pique, what makes you assume they will automatically move onto a different (more suitable?) partner? Melinda especially has made herself into a mate that's hard to pair - with her new sense of self and all that dough (granted, technically she didn't earn it even though according to her state she contributed 50% to its growth in the 27 years they were married.)

Does Warren Buffet have an age-appropriate son? (I say that knowing he just named his successor - but doubting it was a son which may negate my supposition.)

czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Amanda:
quote:
Originally posted by piqué:

I really have no desire to start over with a different partner.

...But 27 years is a good long run, and they'll still run a foundation together.

Pique, what makes you assume they will automatically move onto a different (more suitable?) partner? Melinda especially has made herself into a mate that's hard to pair - with her new sense of self and all that dough (granted, technically she didn't earn it even though according to her state she contributed 50% to its growth in the 27 years they were married.)

Does Warren Buffet have an age-appropriate son? (I say that knowing he just named his successor - but doubting it was a son which may negate my supposition.)

I didn't assume anything about her. I was talking about myself. *I* like having a partner and would rather not grow old without one.

But I strongly disagree that she's become someone hard to pair. A woman with a strong sense of self, a woman who is powerful and independent is extremely attractive to plenty of men. I know, 'cause I attracted 'em. ROTFLMAO

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25702 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Minor Deity
Picture of Doug
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Amanda:

Melinda especially has made herself into a mate that's hard to pair - with her new sense of self and all that )

I’d marry her…

Posts: 10334 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
doug, i don't think you are alone.

what are you going to wear on your first date with melinda? a cravat? or a speedo swimsuit?