well-temperedforum.groupee.net
The Apprentice, Hunger Games edition

This topic can be found at:
https://well-temperedforum.groupee.net/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9130004433/m/3493927597

26 March 2021, 08:37 AM
wtg
The Apprentice, Hunger Games edition
quote:
It was a scene right out of "The Apprentice."

Donald Trump was headlining a fundraiser on Wednesday night at his golf club in West Palm Beach, Fla. But before the dinner began, the former president had some business to take care of: He summoned four Republican Senate candidates vying for Ohio’s open Senate seat for a backroom meeting.

The contenders — former state Treasurer Josh Mandel, former state GOP Chair Jane Timken, technology company executive Bernie Moreno and investment banker Mike Gibbons — had flown down to attend the fundraiser to benefit a Trump-endorsed Ohio candidate looking to oust one of the 10 House Republicans who backed his impeachment. As the candidates mingled during a pre-dinner cocktail reception, one of the president's aides signaled to them that Trump wanted to huddle with them in a room just off the lobby.

What ensued was a 15-minute backroom backbiting session reminiscent of Trump’s reality TV show. Mandel said he was “crushing” Timken in polling. Timken touted her support on the ground thanks to her time as state party chair. Gibbons mentioned how he’d helped Trump’s campaign financially. Moreno noted that his daughter had worked on Trump’s 2020 campaign.

The scene illustrated what has become a central dynamic in the nascent 2022 race. In virtually every Republican primary, candidates are jockeying, auditioning and fighting for the former president’s backing. Trump has received overtures from a multitude of candidates desperate for his endorsement, something that top Republicans say gives him all-encompassing power to make-or-break the outcome of primaries.

And the former president, as was so often the case during his presidency, has seemed to relish pitting people against one another.

https://www.politico.com/news/...io-candidates-478059

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

26 March 2021, 09:58 AM
jodi
I wish he would just disappear. At least I don’t see his picture or hear him talk as much anymore, when I go online, or turn on the TV, and that’s a massive relief.

Smiler Jodi

26 March 2021, 10:11 AM
RealPlayer
Hi Jodi. Yes, isn’t it delightful not to be assaulted by his daily presence?

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

26 March 2021, 10:31 AM
wtg
I'm glad we're rid of him as president and that he doesn't figure in our daily lives, but he's a major fixture in the GOP. He can't be completely ignored and is totally capable of creating a world of hurt for all of us.

Those thoughts lurk in the back of my mind....

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

26 March 2021, 04:07 PM
Mary Anna
How pathetic can a person get?

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

26 March 2021, 08:22 PM
Axtremus
I would put it on the (GOP-leaning) voters. They are the ones who give Trump the power he yields over the GOP today.

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

27 March 2021, 12:15 AM
Daniel
Let me guess. None of them wore masks and they were sitting two feet apart.