well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    My brother, Rogers, just died last night
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My brother, Rogers, just died last night
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted
Of a sudden heart attack - his wife reported she was unable to rouse him in the morning. He appeared calm and without distress; we hope it was swift and with minimal suffering.

He had a serious lipid disorder (as do I and my other brother, FTM) but his was the worst. Nevertheless, this was quite unexpected. He was awaiting placement of another stent or stents on July 17th, and was warned not to engage in any strenuous exercise from now til then. I guess his doctor found some worrying new condition fairly recently - one I hadn't had time to Google from his note.

I am feeling extra sad because I spent several hours writing him a deeply felt email also last night - almost overlapping his time of death. I wish he had gotten it!

In a state of shock but occupied talking and writing various family members since hearing. His body will be cremated in Japan, and he leaves his childless widow devastated and under immense pressure. She and Rogers were trying to look after her very elderly parents alone (so I gather), one of whom has advanced Alzheimer's. (Plus continuing to teach her courses mostly online throughout COVID-19!).

So far away and not only will I never see him again, but I hadn't seen him for countless years. In a way the loss occurred long ago, but this is final in an all new way. When my American SIL frantically tried to reach everyone (ironically, I was engaged in writing that email!) we all assumed her urgent messages were to announce my 97 year old mother's passing. Blind and almost completely deaf in Assisted Living, she has been fading over many years.

Everyone agrees unanimously, she is not to be told. For one thing, at her level of dementia, she would probably have to be told over and over, and thus suffer his loss anew each time! SIL and brother were already debating whether to "visit" her once the lifting of restrictions reached her residence in Florida. Imagine trying to communicate across six feet, both sides wearing masks with a screen dividing them!

I'm not even sure she could hear, much less see them. No, she will never be told.

But thank you for being there for me to vent about all this.

--------------------------------
The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gadfly
Picture of Lisa
posted Hide Post
I'm so sorry Amanda. My thoughts are with you and your family.

Posts: 4402 | Location: Suburban Philly, PA | Registered: 30 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I'm so sorry, Amanda.

FWIW, I very much support the decision not to tell your Mom. You can spare her the pain of knowing of the loss of a child (if she were able to process the information). Not to mention she wouldn't be able to participate in any traditions of farewell given the circumstances.

Comfort

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37884 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Oh Amanda, I am so, so sorry to hear this! The loss of a sibling is always hard, but the details you have hear make it harder. I don't have the right words, but I am so sorry.

Comfort

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18439 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
My condolences.

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12689 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
So sorry.

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7554 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
I'm so sorry, Amanda. My heart goes out to you.

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15510 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
I am so sorry, Amanda for you and your whole family. Comfort

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
Sad time. Condolences...

The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Vacation to Post
Picture of Dan
posted Hide Post
My condolences.

Posts: 1534 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
I can't fully process the loss of a sibling, since I don't have any. You have a lifetime of memories stored up.

Posts: 12530 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
I'm so sorry, Amanda. May his memory be a blessing.

Posts: 35377 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Sorry you lost your brother.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25702 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Wow, I don’t know what to say other than I’m sorry. I agree you’ve made the right decision with your mom.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Amanda, I'm so sorry.

Posts: 24712 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post