well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Sokal Hoax Squared
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sokal Hoax Squared
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
I found it.

Instrumental self-flagellation:

https://opinionator.blogs.nyti.../dear-white-america/

--------------------------------
If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Bret Weinstein’s comment (of Evergreen State fame):

“What this set of hoaxes reveals is: Idea Laundering

These fields aren't engaged in actual study, discipline names notwithstanding. They simply grant "peer reviewed" status to dubious political arguments.

The hoax, by publishing sanctioned garbage, reveals the "peers" as fakes.”

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
These stories are not from my world so I have to ask:

Who is paying for this stuff?

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34829 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Usually, the author is--not that it makes me feel any better.

I don't publish or read anything in the journals that were hoaxed, but the whole thing doesn't ring true in my experience with academic publishing. I realize that was part of the point of the hoaxes in the first place. In my area, in Mr. Nina's area, articles are thoroughly vetted and the reviewers (including me and Mr. Nina) spend a long time reading the manuscripts and commenting before giving a recommendation. I imagine P*D can say the same thing. These are journals in the "hard" sciences, though. I will admit to having some things pass to me from business-related, human resource/organizational development publications that I've not given good reviews to, but not because they were crazy. Rather, they contained poorly documented or substantiated claims. In other words, the articles "stuck to narrative" at the expense of producing hard data or even explaining their conclusions beyond what they had "observed." (Kind of like this comment Big Grin )

So maybe it is discipline-specific. There are definitely "vanity" journals that exist solely to publish anything the author is willing to pay for. I wonder, though: if a job candidate were to submit a resume with the majority of their publications coming from these vanity types of journals, would anyone notice or care?

Posts: 35366 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Found this on twitter, a related topic:

"If there's one thing I've learned from twitter it is that if mras and white nationalists got their own university departments they would be as grievance mongering and self-pitying as today's grievance studies departments."

('mras' = men's rights advocates)

"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Back to Nina's point from November about refereeing. I'll only speak to my discipline, but I think the points generalize. At high quality journals, the refereeing is extremely good. At mid-quality journals, the refereeing is often very good, but there is a little more variance. At lower quality, but still professional, journals the quality of refereeing is even more variable and it's more likely that bad stuff gets through.

But the journals in question here reflect something the hoaxers identify and take advantage of. These journals have a clear political/moral point of view, and that POV can color how people read submissions. Hew to the POV and garbage can slip through. Worse, the POV itself isn't coherent enough for people to see deductive errors or empirical boo boos. It's all about slinging around mumbo-jumbo jargon in the right order, or so the hoaxers believe (and demonstrate).

Posts: 12496 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jon-nyc:

"If there's one thing I've learned from twitter it is that if mras and white nationalists got their own university departments they would be as grievance mongering and self-pitying as today's grievance studies departments."

What is a "grievance study"? The twitterer's bias is showing. Big Grin

Posts: 35366 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:
quote:
Originally posted by jon-nyc:

What is a "grievance study"? The twitterer's bias is showing. Big Grin

http://danny.oz.au/danny/humour/Gilligan Big Grin

Posts: 24638 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Portland State is trying to punish one of the participants in the usual way.

http://reason.com/blog/2019/01...-misconduct-hoax-stu

Comments Pinker:

"This strikes me (and every colleague I've spoken with) as an attempt to weaponize an important [principle] of academic ethics in order to punish a scholar for expressing an unpopular opinion," wrote Pinker. "If scholars feel they have been subject to unfair criticism, they should explain why they think the critic is wrong. It should be beneath them to try to punish and silence him."

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Not this **** again!

Posts: 24638 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
I’m not sure why this would be functionally different than the Dement study. You’re testing using a hypothetical.

Posts: 45723 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
IRBs are designed to prevent unethical practices that harm the subjects. Good examples include the Tuskegee abuse, or the more nuanced Milgram study on obedience. I don't think this "experiment" fits what IRBs are supposed to prevent. It DOES strike me as an ex post retribution.

Posts: 12496 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Recusing self....

Leaving

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
On an IRB, are we? Big Grin

Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
I see nothing, I know nothing, I hear nothing. Big Grin