well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Sokal Hoax Squared
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sokal Hoax Squared
 Login/Join

"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted
For those who don't remember, NYU physicist Alan Sokal published a deconstruction of physics for a leading postmodern cultural studies journal (Social Text), titled, "Transgressing the Boundaries: Towards a Transformative Hermeneutics of Quantum Gravity." It was made up bullsh!t, and the journal was profoundly embarrassed by the whole affair. But postmodern critical studies plowed ahead, unbowed.

These folks have gone Sokal one better.

"Grievance Studies"

The Atlantic picked up on the story ...

What an Audacious Hoax Reveals about Academia

One paper is in part a rewrite of portions of Mein Kampf (even using "struggle" in the title ... Big Grin ). One wag in the YouTube comments said, "So, the word "feminazi" is no longer hyperbole?"

I would have used a less broad title for the article, since the Hoaxsters only skewer certain "disciplines" and methods.

Posts: 12474 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
I've been following this with an embarrassing amount of glee.

Here's the author's take:

https://areomagazine.com/2018/...tion-of-scholarship/

Probably the best (but still not very good) 'defense' of the hoaxed disciplines I've yet read:

http://crookedtimber.org/2018/...ove-over-sokal-hoax/

--------------------------------
If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
I think even the NYT picked it up, by the way. Today's edition.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Revenge of the Positivists! Evil

Posts: 12474 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
I'm surprised I missed this when it first came out. Here is their longer explanation:

Areo Magazine

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I posted that above. Smiler

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I just saw that ... sorry. Big Grin

Techno-Stud
Minor Deity
Picture of Matt G.
posted Hide Post
To me, this only speaks of intellectual laziness on the part of the editors/reviewers of the publications that accepted the papers.

To be fair, many of the publications serve very narrow areas of study, many of which are probably desperate for new ideas to add to their canon. However, in trying to validate the field of study, they may have let down their guard of academic rigor.

[Insert Signature Here]

Posts: 15343 | Location: Plainfield, IL | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
quote:
To me, this only speaks of intellectual laziness on the part of the editors/reviewers of the publications that accepted the papers.

I think that much is clear. The question is whether that intellectual weakness is inherent to the disciplines involved. The authors of the hoax think so, and I tend to agree with them.

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
As do I.

Techno-Stud
Minor Deity
Picture of Matt G.
posted Hide Post
I think it's more desperation to validate the discipline involved. Kind of like holding one's nose to vote for a candidate one can't quite stomach completely, the editorial board may have only published the papers because they dealt with the subject matter, not necessarily agreed with the specifics (which, admittedly, were fraudulent).

It is notable, as The Atlantic notes, that journals for more mainstream disciplines rejected the papers. Why? Because they can be more selective, due to there being much more content in the pipeline.

[Insert Signature Here]

Posts: 15343 | Location: Plainfield, IL | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
They didn't send it to mainstream journals. The reference to the APSR and it's sociology equivalent weren't the kind of journals they targeted. They always targeted very specific "grievance disciplines" as they term it. The rejections led them to change their approach to understanding (and writing for) these hyper-politicized audiences. Once they figured out how to bullsh!t correctly, these journals were only too happy to air the "scholarship."

These people mastered the techniques of publishing Social Justice stuff in short order and wrote 20 freakin' papers in a year, seven of which were published or accepted and more were on track to publication.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
A pithy response to critics by one of the authors

https://mobile.twitter.com/Con.../1056702117958877190

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Wrote another rewrite of Mein Kampf in which the putative author, a white lesbian, excoriates her own whiteness (standing in for Hitler's Jews). Significant among the reasons the paper didn't get in is that a reviewer said this positions her as a "good white" for being woke.

Reminds me of the philosophy prof whose self-denunciation in the NYT drew your attention. I suspect many in grievance studies would have the same reaction to his over-the-top self-flagellation.

[..halfway through that piece, I was still trying to determine if indeed it WAS a parody].

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
You know, he (Yancy) has actually made that same point in the times before, but more instrumentally. His real point was that there really are no ‘good whites’.