Find
Notify
Tools

Ukraine
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
Figured I'd start a new thread on what's happening in Ukraine...

quote:
Officials in Poland and Bulgaria say Russia is suspending their countries’ natural gas deliveries starting on Wednesday.

The governments of the two European countries said Tuesday that Russian energy giant Gazprom informed them it was halting gas supplies.

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/04/2...h-media-reports.html

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37786 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Spring is racing toward summer, so heating needs are abating. EU economies will have to adjust to less gas (conserve and triage use) and develop alternative supplies (including hopefully more US liquid natural gas if we can pump and condense it). They have to have weaned themselves by fall.

Posts: 12508 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
For the Monty Python fans ...

Please adjust size! It's 4096x4096, and just relabeling it 1024x1024 doesn't seem to work.

Posts: 12508 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Lithuanian pianist plays Chopin in Ukraine....

https://www.euronews.com/2022/...-amid-ruins-of-irpin

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37786 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Amazing. Ukraine hits the Russian general staff in Izium during a meeting, killing or wounding dozens of top military leaders, including the military chief of staff, Gerasimov. Gerasimov was wounded and evacuated back to Russia. Others weren't so lucky.

One wonders how Ukraine seems to be getting such accurate intelligence! We wonders. Yes, we wonders ...

Strike in Izium

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Russian troops in the occupied city of Melitopol have stolen all the equipment from a farm equipment dealership – and shipped it to Chechnya, according to a Ukrainian businessman in the area.

But after a journey of more than 700 miles, the thieves were unable to use any of the equipment – because it had been locked remotely.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/05/01...opol-intl/index.html

Bazootiehead-in-training

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Hitler had Jewish "blood"

So Lavrov claims on Italian TV, along with "many of the worst antisemites are Jews." All to justify Putin's claim that Russia is truly de-Nazifying Zelenskyy-led Ukraine. This is a standard anti-semites trope that justifies blaming the Holocaust on the Jews themselves.

Over the last fifty+ years, and through many ventures into Europe, I have encountered a truly shocking amount of anti-semitism, even from highly educated people. It's simply casual and in the air. I'm not at all surprised that he said this on Italian TV. In the mediterranean, anti-semitism is baked into the culture. I'm venting, I know. And I'm remembering visiting "scholars" from Spain casually talking about "Jewish control of the US media," because "The NY TIMES, you know ..." while proclaiming astonishment that I would call this attitude "casual antisemitism." Oh no, we don't hate Jews ...

They're furious in Tel Aviv, but not really doing anything except the usual "call in the ambassador for an explanation!!!" I'm seeing Claude Rains in my mind, saying "round up the usual suspects." Israel needs to get off the proverbial pot and start funneling weaponry (Iron Dome, for instance) into Ukraine. They have to be seeing what is obvious to everyone else. The vaunted Russian military seems adept only at bombing defenseless cities into ruins and annihilating combatants armed mostly with old AK-47s, especially if they use chemical weapons against them.

Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
Am I the only one here who was aghast at Israeli Prime Minister Bennett's meeting with Putin?

What was that all about?

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
I think it's fairly clear that Israel was trying to straddle the line. Russia is a power broker in Syria, and Israel thinks it can continue to contest Iranian entrenchment there only with the tacit permission of Russia. Hence, don't gratuitously poke the bear.

I suspect, and hope, that they will be getting off that line now, and for two reasons.

1. Their realpolitik is increasingly unethical given their professed values. It's time to ship Iron Dome and other serious military gear to Ukraine, no matter that it may make Russia shoot at Israeli jets.

2. Which brings me to #2. We're all watching the ineptitude of the Russian military. I suspect Israel could take out the entire Russian air defense / air assault mission in Syria in short order, if Russia actually goes after Israeli forces acting against Iran and Hezbollah. I suspect Russia now knows this too.

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Another Russian warship, the 406' long frigate Admiral Makarov supposedly hit by a Neptune missile and on fire near Snake Island. Russians supposedly sending helicopters to try to rescue crew.

It'll take a while to show up in the WaPo, NYT, or BBC. They have to confirm things. Forbes, however, is running with the story.

US spokesperson saying we cannot yet corroborate, but supposedly (I'm using that a lot) we have an observation drone circling in the area.

Admiral Makarov

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Spirits of the Past

The Role of History in the Russo-Ukraine War

https://samf.substack.com/p/spirits-of-the-past?s=r

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Russian forces abandoned the strategic Black Sea outpost of Snake Island on Thursday, in a major victory for Ukraine that could loosen the grip of Russia's blockade on Ukrainian ports.

Russia's defence ministry said it had decided to withdraw from the outcrop as a "gesture of goodwill" to show Moscow was not obstructing U.N. efforts to open a humanitarian corridor allowing grains to be shipped from Ukraine.

https://www.reuters.com/world/...o-summit-2022-06-30/

Bazootiehead-in-training