well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    The activists who embrace nuclear power

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The activists who embrace nuclear power
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
quote:
In the face of climate change, some environmentalists are fighting not to close power plants but to save them.

https://www.newyorker.com/tech...mbrace-nuclear-power

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37871 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
I think there's a good argument to be made for keeping existing nuclear power plants in operation as long as economically feasible. I doubt any new plants are liable to be constructed in this country solely because of economic considerations regardless of other causes of opposition.

I'd be even more comfortable with them if a permanent nuclear waste depository were established where high level radioactive materials could be sequestered safely for millenia.

I personally purchase renewables in sufficient amounts to offset my total demand, but that occurs over time, not instantaneously. It costs me a small premium over what my serving utility would charge for the same amount of energy, but it helps ensure the continued growth of cleaner suppliers.

Recent events have demonstrated how diversity in supply can potentially contribute to greater resiliency in operation of the the electrical supply system. I think the heavy carbon contribution of coal-fired plants rule them out of the equation in the near term and, while relatively clean compared to coal, gas in it's present form, is not an utlimate solution unless some cost-effective form of carbon sequestration should appear. This leaves solar, wind, hydro of various forms and nuclear as the available options, probably working in conjunction with substantial energy storage, conservation measures, and a robust grid of large extent to help balance supplies over wide areas will yield a power system we can live with.

Big Al

Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7399 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I heard recently that Gates' TerraPower plans to build mini-reactors based on traveling wave technology.

https://www.inverse.com/innova...energy-is-the-future

Totally out of my element here. Got any thoughts, Big Al?

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37871 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
I heard recently that Gates' TerraPower plans to build mini-reactors based on traveling wave technology.

https://www.inverse.com/innova...energy-is-the-future

Exciting stuff! ThumbsUp

Cool website, too.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34916 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post