well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    We train police to be warriors

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

We train police to be warriors
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
quote:
We train police to be warriors — and then send them out to be social workers

The fatal mismatch at the heart of American policing.

https://www.vox.com/2020/7/31/...lice-reform-training

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37794 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Well, they've been armed with military equipment.

Posts: 24654 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Somewhere along the way, they swapped out "protect and serve" for "law and order."

Leaving aside the whole issue of systemic racism (not to say it's irrelevant), I get it. The insane gun laws here mean that a beat cop may encounter a hopped-up, angry nutjob with an AK-47. It's not a simple problem to solve, but I do think we have tended to view the problem as either-or: either we arm our police to the teeth to counter what they're seeing on the streets, or we turn them all into social workers. I don't think there is a simple solution, and the solution won't be black and white.

Posts: 35367 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post