well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Teenagers today are more responsible

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Teenagers today are more responsible
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/0...teens-sex-drugs.html

"... today’s teenagers drink less than their parents’ generation did. They smoke less, and they use fewer hard drugs. They get in fewer car accidents and fewer physical fights. They are less likely to drop out of high school, less likely to have sex, and less likely to become pregnant. They commit fewer crimes.

They even wear bike helmets.

Across a wide range of classically risky teenage behaviors, today’s teenagers are getting tamer and more responsible, making better decisions and eschewing the dangerous choices that, for many adults today, defined youth.
..."

--------------------------------
www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12688 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
They have less testosterone due to pollution and toxic chemicals in their food according to some.
IMO that equals less risky behavior.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25702 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gadfly
Picture of Lisa
posted Hide Post
I think they're too stressed out about trying to fit in 10 AP classes, 2 varsity sports, and 40 hours a week of community service so they can get into a half decent college. It doesn't leave much time for drugging or drinking.

OTOH, it explains a lot about the rise in anxiety, depression, and teen suicide rates.

Posts: 4402 | Location: Suburban Philly, PA | Registered: 30 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Doug
posted Hide Post
There’s no way today’s teenagers are having less sex than I did…

Posts: 10334 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug:

ROTFLMAO

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9799 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Thought question (not directed at anyone personally): If you are stressing your kids out to the point of taking drugs, drinking, suicide attempts, etc., maybe it's time to consider the state university?

I understand the desire to get your kid into a good school, but things have gotten insane. Not every kid gets into an Ivy league school. That doesn't mean they're failures or their lives are ruined.

My 2c!

Posts: 35377 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:
Thought question (not directed at anyone personally): If you are stressing your kids out to the point of taking drugs, drinking, suicide attempts, etc., maybe it's time to consider the state university?

I understand the desire to get your kid into a good school, but things have gotten insane. Not every kid gets into an Ivy league school. That doesn't mean they're failures or their lives are ruined.

My 2c!

+1

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15510 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gadfly
Picture of Lisa
posted Hide Post
As a proud graduate of the state university and mom to a kid who had zero interest in high pressure colleges and only applied to public universities, I can say that I don't think it is parents applying this pressure. It's more the culture that is pervasive in high schools today -- kids start thinking about college in like 8th grade and even if you don't really care about ivy leagues, the pressure is still there. If you are the only one of your friends who isn't taking AP Chem, your friends all look at you weird and wonder why you're slacking. Everyone is in this contest to out-do each other with how stressed out and busy they are. Social media makes it worse.

And if the child really does want to go to an ivy league, the reality is that you basically have to be perfect and have cured cancer or won a gold medal in the olympics to get in. College admissions (even at the state schools) has gotten very competitive because as the top schools become more selective, the average stats of kids at the lower ranked schools go up because kids who would have easily gotten into ivies 10 years ago end up there. It's a domino effect and the kids know it, even without outside pressure from parents or school counselors.

Posts: 4402 | Location: Suburban Philly, PA | Registered: 30 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
On the subject of state universities... yay, state universities!! I teach at one! I am 100% in favor of state universities. Ole

Back specifically to the original topic...

Is it possible that what is being described as kids being "more responsible" is actually kids being "less rebellious"?

We are not parents (obvs) but I know a lot of parents in my age group and younger who are pretty great parents. The "because I said so" style of parenting seems to be decreasing (from where I sit anyway).

At the same time, the increase in awareness about the problems of racism, sexism, homophobia etc. seems to be me to be corresponding with an increase in awareness about the importance of having respect for individuals. Parents that I know are very conscious of how they interact with their children, how they instill confidence in them, respect for human agency etc.

Perhaps shifting parenting styles is making it easier for kids to go through their teenage years with less angst? Less angst leads to less rebellion, which results in what looks like more responsible behaviors?

Maybe? ... No?

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18434 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Really standing on shaky ground when commenting about parenting skillz... but you may be on to something, SK.

There is a lot of gray area between "because I said so," and "how dare you criticize my special snowflake." The parents I admire most seem to have found some happy medium where they are honest with their kids, offering both praise and criticism when warranted. They don't try to be their kid's friend. Their explanations of criticism try to include the consequences of whatever stupid thing the kid did might be, and those consequences go beyond 'you're grounded' to an explanation of what their actions might do to someone else. Based on my own experience, it's a hard balance to maintain. How I feel about my parenting depends on the day, but as my kids get older the good days have definitely increased, so that's good. Smiler

Posts: 35377 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
I think if you are honest with yourself and your children and their wellbeing, learning both positive and negative lessons, is foremost in your mind, you can hardly go too wrong. It's the 'My Kid Uber Alles' parents that are the problem.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13549 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
The major stress in my childhood was my mother's constant imposition of her absurd religions standards, coupled with an alcoholic father. Religion does not have the influence it had then.
Are teenage suicide rates higher in the "Bible" states.

Posts: 25702 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug:

Big Grin