well-temperedforum.groupee.net
No booster for me, apparently

This topic can be found at:
https://well-temperedforum.groupee.net/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9130004433/m/3433948597

25 April 2021, 06:05 PM
Cindysphinx
No booster for me, apparently
I had my second Moderna Covid shot last week, and I had a pretty bad reaction.

I got the shot in the morning and drove the 90 minutes home. I started feeling fatigue, so I took a nap. When I woke up, I felt fine.

I later went to bed as usual, but I woke up around 3 in the morning, and couldn't get back to sleep. This is typical for me if I nap, so I went downstairs, sat at the barstool at the counter, started watching an episode of John Oliver, and munched on clementines.

All of a sudden, I felt the energy drain from my body, and I knew I was about to pass out. I put my head down on the counter and waited for it to pass. When I woke up, I was no longer resting on the counter but had shifted back onto the chair back. I don't know how long I was out, but John Oliver was still talking in the camera. But I couldn't hear *anything.* Not the words he was saying, not the refrigerator, not normal ambient noise. It was like being underwater. After a few very long seconds, my hearing slowly went from zero to normal. I then sat at the counter for a while until I felt steady enough to go upstairs and get in bed. I had chills and shakes for the rest of the night.

I don't know what's up with that sort of reaction, but I can't say for sure that my hearing will come back next time. I'm not about to risk it. I have a physical with my doctor in May, and I'll advise him of this reaction.
25 April 2021, 08:32 PM
wtg
Others have reported hearing issues after vaccination (also after having COVID).

https://www.reddit.com/r/moder...ng_loss_or_deafness/

And a FB group for more general side effects. Of course there are tons of nutcases.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/138639311364238

You might want to report it to VAERS.

https://www.audiology.org/audi...ent-reporting-system

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

25 April 2021, 09:46 PM
jon-nyc
Interesting. Glad to hear it all came back, Cindy.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

25 April 2021, 09:52 PM
markj
Well. I go in for 2nd shot of Moderna tomorrow morning. Not something I wanted to see the night before. lol

I had a hearing episode but only in my left ear. It lasted a day or so. I cleaned out my ears really good. Might have been a tad heavy on the wax build-up. The day after I thoroughly cleaned the ear out, my hearing in that ear returned.

If I repeat this event I will be more convinced of a link to the vaccine.

Now I have anxiety. Frowner
25 April 2021, 10:12 PM
wtg
From NPR, more on side effects and reporting them.

https://www.npr.org/sections/g...hurt-after-a-vaccine

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

25 April 2021, 10:18 PM
Piano*Dad
quote:
Well. I go in for 2nd shot of Moderna tomorrow morning. Not something I wanted to see the night before. lol

Big Grin

Not really funny though ...

I didn't have a hearing issue, but I did have a lot of trouble sleeping the first night and I felt very drained the next morning (probably from lack of sleep). After breakfast I went back to bed. That helped. I was still a bit lethargic in the afternoon, but I could teach, and I was mostly fine by evening.

A reaction, yeah, but eh. I've had worse.
25 April 2021, 10:19 PM
markj
I'm not clicking any more links. LOL

Mrs. Mark and youngest daughter remember that my hearing episode was before I got my first shot.

I get shot 2 at 9:30 am.
25 April 2021, 10:51 PM
QuirtEvans
I had no hearing issues, but, after the second Moderna vaccination, I woke up at 3AM shivering. Muscle aches and joint pain followed. It lasted a day or two.

I know other people who have been flattened by the second shot (both Moderna and Pfizer) for a day or two, and others who were unaffected.

I was aware of the risk before I got the second shot, and I thought the additional protection was worth the potential discomfort. I still do.
25 April 2021, 11:10 PM
markj
quote:
Originally posted by QuirtEvans:
... and I thought the additional protection was worth the potential discomfort. I still do.

I think the same.
26 April 2021, 03:46 AM
Steve Miller
I’m so sorry you had such a reaction. Please let us know what your doctor thinks.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

26 April 2021, 11:35 AM
Nina
That sounds scary--I'm glad it wasn't permanent. Or was it? HEY CINDY!!!

Yep, let us know what your doc says. I'm going in for my 2nd next Friday.
26 April 2021, 06:18 PM
markj
I received my 2nd shot of the Moderna COVID-19 vaccine this morning shortly after 9:00 am.

My arm is not as sore as it was for the 1st shot.

Nothing else to report so far. I hope it stays that way.
26 April 2021, 08:21 PM
AdagioM
I had my second Moderna shot last Tuesday. Took the day off from computer work, just knit all day with a slightly sore arm. Tired the next day. On Friday and Saturday I had a weird feeling in my armpit; I’m guessing a swollen lymph node? I couldn’t feel a lump, just felt like my armpit was...wrong. Like it took up more space than normal when I brought my arm to my side. By Saturday evening the sensation had gone away, all good now.

Mr. AM had his second Pfizer shot last week Sunday. Monday he was achey all over. Took some acetominophen. Was fine by Tuesday morning.

Cindy, that sounds like a scary reaction. Glad you’re feeling better.

http://pdxknitterati.com

28 April 2021, 04:49 AM
Daniel
I'm sorry to hear it.

The 2nd Pyser gave me arm and muscle pain, one day of increasing fogginess, and then two days of severe fatigue, so far.

But that's little compared to the side effect you experienced. I'm glad you're better.
07 May 2021, 11:02 AM
wtg
My eye researcher friend sees patients at an eye clinic at a university. From an email she sent me:

quote:
I saw 2 patients yesterday that developed atypical optic neuritis following the 1st shot of the vaccine. Just looking at the other side of the coin.

I looked up optic neuritis and found a paper that talked about patients who got it post-COVID (disease, not vaccine).

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7705770/

She has gotten the vaccine and is a strong proponent. From her "other side of the coin" observation, it's clear she's also a very good scientist.

Bazootiehead-in-training