well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Do you think they can shut down state borders?
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do you think they can shut down state borders?
 Login/Join

(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
P*D, Yes

--------------------------------
My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18509 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gadfly
Picture of Lisa
posted Hide Post
It seems like most of her friends' colleges were equally unprepared - they just had the good fortune of having an earlier spring break, so they were already on break when the college decided to switch to online learning. So most of their colleges extended break another week or so then resumed online classes. The kids and profs at least had a chance to prepare. Calling it Wednesday at 4:30 and putting it into place on Thursday at 8am was ridiculous! They could have at least had regular classes through the end of the week.

Seems like her college is changing daily - they had said we had til March 27th to move her out but after I posted this, we got an email saying they moved the move-out deadline up to 5pm this Saturday and urged us to get our kids out asap because of possible travel bans.
quote:
As you know, the COVID-19 situation has been changing on a near-daily basis. The Governor of Ohio announced yesterday that domestic travel may soon be restricted by the federal government. With that news, we strongly urge you to promptly leave campus while you are able to do so. There may come a time in the coming days or weeks when you are not able to leave campus due to changing state and federal orders.

So far they haven't canceled classes for the rest of the week and so there's a number of kids (LL#1 included) who have too many tests and assignments to deal with packing and moving. I called her an hour ago and went through her schedule and there is just no way she can do a 10 hour car ride (plus the hours it takes to pack and move everything) until after her last midterm on Friday - she has a huge test or project due every day between now and then. There seem to be a number of parents in the same boat all loudly complaining on the university's parent facebook page, so maybe they'll cancel midterms for the rest of the week.....like I said, they seem to be changing things by the hour anyhow.

At any rate, she is riding it out until Friday so if she gets stuck there, I guess she gets stuck there!

Posts: 4404 | Location: Suburban Philly, PA | Registered: 30 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Rhode Island police began stopping cars with New York plates Friday. On Saturday, the National Guard will help them conduct house-to-house searches to find people who traveled from New York and demand 14 days of self-quarantine.

“Right now we have a pinpointed risk,” Governor Gina Raimondo said. “That risk is called New York City.”

New York is the epicenter of the coronavirus outbreak in the U.S., on Friday reporting a total of 44,000 cases.

Rhode Island has just over 200, and it has begun an aggressive campaign to keep the virus out and New Yorkers contained, over objections from civil liberties advocates.

Raimondo, a Democrat, said she had consulted lawyers and said while she couldn’t close the border, she felt confident she could enforce a quarantine.

Many New Yorkers have summer houses in Rhode Island, especially in tony Newport, and the governor said the authorities would be checking there.

“Yesterday I announced and today I reiterated: Anyone coming to Rhode Island in any way from New York must be quarantined,” the governor said. “By order. Will be enforced. Enforceable by law.”

Raimondo signed an executive order Thursday that applies to anyone who has been in New York during the past two weeks and through at least April 25. It doesn’t apply to public health, public safety, or health-care workers.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news...rkers-seeking-refuge

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37929 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
It's a real issue - states that are hotter will have their residents fleeing to areas that are not as overwhelmed in hope of treatment.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13556 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
The Rhode Island Governor acknowledged that she cannot stop people from NY from entering.

She claimed that she has legal authority to enforce them to quarantine, though.

Posts: 45742 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted Hide Post
What a nightmare. I can’t believe the school is being so draconian.

Side note: SK - I am so pleased to hear your attitude toward students with IEPs. I have found it’s inconsistent at post-secondary (largely dependant on how much a student can self-advocate) so it’s amazing to hear how proactive you are being!

One of our provinces has not shut its borders, exactly, but has set up “information checkpoints” at the five busiest highways to talk to each travveler about the need to self-isolate.

"Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst." ~ Henri Cartier-Bresson

Posts: 4092 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by QuirtEvans:
The Rhode Island Governor acknowledged that she cannot stop people from NY from entering.

She claimed that she has legal authority to enforce them to quarantine, though.

I think she is correct, and unless overruled by the Supreme Court, she is right to act on this matter.

Posts: 12537 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Side note: SK - I am so pleased to hear your attitude toward students with IEPs. I have found it’s inconsistent at post-secondary (largely dependant on how much a student can self-advocate) so it’s amazing to hear how proactive you are being!

Dol, one thing that's really frustrating is that there have been no communications/emails/guidance of any sort from the university dept that coordinates alternative testing sites and informs faculty of what kinds of accommodations students need. I thought maybe we'd hear from this this past week (first week back after spring break, first week of online instruction). But no.

I did try the lockdown browser yesterday, I figured I need to know how it worked. One student emailed me with problems and I just turned it off completely. I'm never using that again.

/majorthreaddrift

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18509 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
Florida is setting up checkpoints, too, although it isn't clear what they are going to do at those checkpoints.

https://www.wtxl.com/news/loca...V-YjBGXPdp6lEeH70th8

PD, I believe you are right in all respects. But I also think she's right that she cannot stop people at the border and turn them around.

"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
... and she knows that.

Posts: 12537 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Vox on the state border issues.

https://www.vox.com/2020/3/28/...n-constitution-trump

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37929 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
i watched cuomo's live address this morning and he said he's talked to the governor of rhode island and they have come to an understanding. she is no longer banning out of staters, apparently.

in montana we are having the same problem. the montana post did an investigative report and discovered abnormally high requests for vacation home rentals and air bnbs for a month to three months! thankfully many of the vacation home management companies are refusing these reservations.

we don't have the infrastructure to handle an influx of people who may already be infected.

our governor said he does not have the power to close the montana border, however, anyone who comes here must obey the state-wide "shelter in place" directive.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21351 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
we don't have the infrastructure to handle an influx of people who may already be infected.

This is the key point. It's also why people who are potentially infected might not want to go to a place with infrastructure that cannot support a higher population density.

Unfortunately, people aren't thinking rationally.

quote:
our governor said he does not have the power to close the montana border, however, anyone who comes here must obey the state-wide "shelter in place" directive.

Both points are true.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
We have a duplex across the street that is owned by part timers one couple is from Butte but spends more than half the year in California (so that’s where they are). The other rarely has anyone in it, seems to owned by the owner of a state wide business, who live elsewhere in the state. At any rate, two big vehicles with Washington State plates showed up there last night, other neighbor says she thinks they are family members. Sure hope they didn’t come here from someplace with better health care and a bigger hospital than we have.

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20460 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Finland has closed its borders. Not surprising.
Now no one can cross the finish line.

Made that my signature, then saw this thread.
Could not stop myself.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25709 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post