well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    “Dementia is a place my mother lives. It is not who she is.”

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

“Dementia is a place my mother lives. It is not who she is.”
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/0...ntia-elder-care.html

--------------------------------
Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20415 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
That's a lovely piece. Thanks for posting it, jodi.

My Mom's and my journey through her dementia was difficult one, but in retrospect I realize I was handed a huge gift. She was, too.

The mom I knew for years was not an easy person to live with, always nervous and high strung and demanding. Looking back, I wonder how much of that was due to having gone through the thick of WWII. We had had a rocky relationship for years but we found a new and better, more peaceful place to meet. Mom's dementia was almost like a tranquilizer. Her memories slipped away and she lived in an uncomplicated world with no troubles or unpleasantness.

"Dana, do you want some noodles?" Helen the aide would ask. Her question would elicit a huge smile and eager anticipation of a plate full of Helen's fabulous Filipino dish called pancit. The aides at the Lutheran Home where mom lived her last three years anticipated her every need. Coffee with the right flavor of Coffee-Mate. Watching an Andre Rieu video with her and the rest of the residents, everybody swaying to the waltzes. I was there every day to visit Mom, but they were the angels who sustained her 24/7. She was not the same person that I had known for so many years and who was my last connection to my childhood and to family, but she was loved and accepted and cared for unconditionally. A tradeoff to be sure, but perhaps not a bad one.

I was with her three years ago yesterday when she passed away peacefully.

Love you, Mom.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37794 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
My father's stepmother suffered through nine years of dementia.
There was "no one home" after the first four years.
My father arranged for care for her in her home 24/7. The workers took the silver and whatever was not nailed down, but they took care of her.
My father started to go from sanity to "gone" at 86. Sometimes he could laugh when I joked with him. Then a stroke took him at 90 before he became worse.

My mother planned to live to 100. At 93 I saw her roll herself to the calculator in January. Saw the look of disappointment on her face. I found the paper tape with 100-93=7 on it.
She had a big stroke before Easter. Then the final one in September.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25677 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
My Dad did 15 years..

We often talk about this as Mom is in the opposite situation...at nearly 93 with all her marbles...Alert, following the events in Urkraine...yet her body is failing her...

We are discussing which is preferable.. Frowner

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BeeLady:
My Dad did 15 years..

We often talk about this as Mom is in the opposite situation...at nearly 93 with all her marbles...Alert, following the events in Urkraine...yet her body is failing her...

We are discussing which is preferable.. Frowner

Neither is preferable. My father-in-law’s body failed him; he was still sharp as a tack, right up to the end. A massive spinal infection that paralyzed him was the end.

Mom-in-law has dementia. She’s in great shape, physically.

Neither situation was/is good.

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9789 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post