well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Empty retail space

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Empty retail space
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
quote:
Commercial real estate is in trouble, and turbulence in the $15 trillion market is threatening to bleed over into the broader financial system just as the U.S. struggles to emerge from a recession.

The longer the pandemic paralyzes hotels, retailers and office buildings, the more difficult it is for property owners to meet their mortgage payments — raising the specter of widespread downgrades, defaults and eventual foreclosures. As companies like J.C. Penney, Neiman Marcus and Pier 1 file for bankruptcy, retail properties are losing major tenants with no clear plan to replace them, while hotels are running below 50 percent occupancy.

Seven months into the crisis, the industry’s pleas for relief to Congress and the Federal Reserve have been in vain: Lawmakers are at odds over even the most basic details of an economic relief package for individuals, let alone businesses, and the Fed, leery of taking on more risk, is hoping the trillion-dollar market for securities backed by commercial mortgages will heal itself.

There's also the fear that directing significant relief to the industry would be seen as a “handout to the president’s friends” since Donald Trump made his fortune in commercial real estate, said one lobbyist frustrated with the lack of traction the issue is getting with policymakers.

“Sometimes people forget the depth and breadth of what commercial real estate is,” said Mike Flood, senior vice president of commercial and multifamily policy at the Mortgage Bankers Association. “What’s at risk here is both the ability for people to stay in their apartments and the ability for people to go to their jobs. So unless there’s a stimulus, there’s a lot less to go back to once we get back to normal times.”

https://www.politico.com/news/...-retail-space-429994

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37839 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
It was called “jingle mail” during the last recession.

Real estate owners in the wake of the 2007-2008 financial crisis who opted not to fight to keep their homes or commercial properties, instead sent back the keys to lenders to sort out the mortgage mess.

Simon Property Group SPG, +8.04%, the largest U.S. retail real-estate investment Trust (REIT) and shopping center operator, recently took similar actions on four of its struggling shopping malls that have $410.9 million of mortgage debt, according to a team at KBRA Credit Profile, a research arm of Kroll Bond Rating Agency.

The mall owner indicated it would engage in a “friendly foreclosure” of the Mall at Tuttle Crossing in Dublin, Ohio, and the Southridge Mall in Greendale, Wis., in monthly property reports to bond investors, according to the team.

It also revealed it no longer would inject capital into the Montgomery Mall in North Wales, Pa., and would give the lender back Simon’s title interest in the Crystal Mall in Waterford, Conn., the monthly reports showed.

https://www.marketwatch.com/st..._article_top_stories

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37839 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
I've been seeing this coming for months. The ripple effects in the financial system are going to be a major problem.

I've read about malls being repurposed to create housing stock. Way too much parking, but maybe some of that pavement could be turned into grass and trees. Storefronts are a much bigger problem.

Posts: 45730 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
What is a friendly foreclosure?

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18379 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:

I think it's non-adversarial. The lender and borrower agree on what will happen. Kind of like, "I'll give you the keys back, you get ownership, of the property, my debt is wiped off the books, no lawsuits, ok?"

Minor Deity
Picture of Doug
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by QuirtEvans:
quote:

I think it's non-adversarial. The lender and borrower agree on what will happen. Kind of like, "I'll give you the keys back, you get ownership, of the property, my debt is wiped off the books, no lawsuits, ok?"

It really takes all of the fun out of it…

Posts: 10334 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug:
quote:
quote:

Big Grin

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34877 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug:
quote:
quote:

If you can't throw a few widows and orphans out in the snow, why be in business at all?

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30033 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
Here's a story about the office space glut in Manhattan:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news...n=socialflow-organic

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
The same thing is happening in the OC. Several huge new office parks completed during the pandemic. Driving by I don't see many cars in the parking lots - which means they have not leased.

This is "Spectrum Terrace. 9 new buildings completed around August.

At a projected rent of $4 - $5 per square foot/month, someone is losing a whole lot of money.

Posts: 34877 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
Repurposing shopping malls seems to have a lot of potential.

On the short term, this country's going to need some hospital space, so maybe that income could help finance the necessary transitional costs to convert some of them to housing. Quirt is right about the excess parking, but he is also right about the need for green space. There would also be plenty of room for playgrounds and athletic fields that would make the new housing attractive.

If enough people lived there, there might even be a need for a little bit of retail space--a pharmacist, a small grocery store, and such.

We built these behemoths. It makes sense to find a use for them instead of tearing them down. I fear that we're going to have to repurpose some other things. Movie theaters come to mind.

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15507 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
There's discussion here in PDX to repurpose a lot of this for affordable housing. We could certainly use it. Another strong option involves shopping malls which also have the benefit (here) of having fully built out transit options. It's worth pointing out that the decline of shopping malls started well before COVID.

One of the challenges will be nimby, another is to avoid gentrification.

Posts: 35371 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I suspect it costs more to retrofit an old mall than it does to demolish the mall and build from scratch.