well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Two sleeps

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Two sleeps
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
quote:
The forgotten medieval habit of 'two sleeps'

For millennia, people slept in two shifts – once in the evening, and once in the morning. But why? And how did the habit disappear?

https://www.bbc.com/future/art...source=pocket-newtab

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37881 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
That's very interesting.

My Mom slept like that and as I get older I find myself awake more often in the wee hours of the morning. Maybe it's my natural rhythm after all.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34927 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
I remember reading about that several years ago. It happens to me when I’m stressed, haven’t had enough exercise during the day or eaten too close to bedtime. (Alcohol does it too, but I drink next to nothing these days).

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20450 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
Mr. AM sleeps like this. The cats sleep on him for first sleep. They sleep on me for second sleep (but I only have one shift).

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9799 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
I've been sleeping like this for years. I don't particularly like it, but it could be worse.

On a side note, the term "two sleeps" is used at least in Australia to denote something happening in two days:

"Two more sleeps until we fire up the barbie for Christmas!"

Posts: 35377 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post