well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Seniors' homeless crisis in Montana

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Seniors' homeless crisis in Montana
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted
"Seniors becoming homeless as housing costs and inflation rise... NPR"
https://www.npr.org/sections/h...ly-housing-inflation

Posts: 24654 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
That's horrible. And complicated. The Povorello Center has attracted a lot of crime--30% higher than the rest of Missoula--and the transients that come there have blighted that neighborhood. People are moving out because it's no longer safe for their children there. It had been a lovely neighborhood.

Social services are definitely weaker in Montana than many other places. It's becoming a haven for the wealthy. I shared this article with the realtor who sold my house. She's a very public-spirited person with a lot of inside political connections--and she's made a killing off this crazy housing market. I'll be interested to hear what she says.

Thanks for posting it.

--------------------------------
fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21305 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
Delayed response to the destruction of pensions in the US...

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7546 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Yes - as areas become more desirable, this seems to be what happens. I've seen it personally in Phoenix, Santa Fe, Vancouver BC, Portland. It seems to be the way things go. Property values rise, rents rise, it becomes harder to purchase a house, and if you do own your house it becomes harder to pay the property taxes every year.

I'm not sure what the solution is. But the knee-jerk response from so many ("just get a job," "move," etc.) isn't helpful at all.

Posts: 35367 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
Well, she responded that they could move to Indiana, where houses are affordable (she posted a listing from her home town). I wonder if she even read the article. Because 90 year olds should not be sleeping in a dangerous homeless shelter. And elderly disabled people on Medicaid do not have the resources to leave the state..

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21305 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post