well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Toilet bowl rising (over and over) after a clog. Ideas re diagnosis?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Toilet bowl rising (over and over) after a clog. Ideas re diagnosis?
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
Call a plumber. Seriously.

I estimate with my jiggered float stop, the bowl is gaining only a few ounces every few hours which I can live with.
SO much other (now) more urgent tasks. Toilet has gone far down the TODO list.

(Not apropos of anything except "Amanda's mishaps", but just noticed that while I was writing letters to you, the snow remover guy cleared the wrong drive, thus leaving me no way to get car out of garage. Also didn't do deck)

Had written him to check the diagram left by front door but I see envelope wasn't opened. Frowner

--------------------------------
The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
Got a big pickle jar or a quart canning jar or something like that? Something that is shorter than the top of the overflow tube? Put in in the toilet tank. Every couple hours or twice a day, empty it. It's slightly more pleasant than ladling out the bowl.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30030 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pianojuggler:
Got a big pickle jar or a quart canning jar or something like that? Something that is shorter than the top of the overflow tube? Put in in the toilet tank. Every couple hours or twice a day, empty it. It's slightly more pleasant than ladling out the bowl.

Not quite clear on how this would work. I'd have thought such a jar would tip over after trying to float (and break) . I wouldn't like to clean up glass breakage in the tank - under whatever small amount of water remains. Probably your method is cleverer than I'm imagining.

However, the toilet bowl itself is QUITE clean by now, having been brush scrubbed with powerful sanitizers.

Not to say that when this is over, I won't want to disinfect many surfaces in my house contacted during this process. Either by my hands - gloved or not - or spilled (contaminated) water. My banisters alone have been subjected to e-coli parties!

And the floor and - oh, it goes on and on. As for the old towels I've used to mop up spills, well, thank heavens my washing machine has a "sanitary" cycle that sterilizes contents. After all, people DO still wash diapers at home. Will remind me of the treatment I gave most vulnerable areas in the house when the COVID hysteria first hit. (Now it's not even thought that surfaces are particularly risky for transmission).

But thanks for more bright ideas! (I like your drawings - a hint of DaVinci)

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
I keep a large jar in my toilet tanks all the time. This takes up volume thus reducing the amount of water per flush, but keeps the water level higher so there's the same head of pressure when the water rushes into the bowl to flush. (Remember when toilet tanks were mounted six feet up on the wall? They flushed much better because of the additional column height.)

You put the jar in when the tank is full... either just push it straight down and hold it as the water runs in, or start with it tipped horizontally, then turn it upright.

When you flush, the jar just stays full.

You may have to figure out how to work it in around the float and flush lever. But here's the idea:

Yeah, the bottom of the tank should actually be flat. No, the jar won't slide over and interfere with the flapper.

I assume you did something like my red piece of old coat hanger to hold the float up.

It is easier with a Fluidmaster since the float just rides up and down a vertical tower instead of being at the end of the rod.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
On second thought, the pickle jar does nothing for the water sneaking into bowl through the failing flapper valve.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

Minor Deity
Picture of Jack Frost
posted Hide Post
I use a brick instead of a pickle jar.

Jf

Be calm, be brave, it'll be okay.

Posts: 17671 | Location: Maine | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jack Frost:
I use a brick instead of a pickle jar.
I'm trying not to think about that sentence out of context.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
What an epic! This thread is going to be one of the more memorable ones--right up there with Vulva Chic.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21305 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
Horning in with a question.

Is it ok to use those Clorox bleach tablets in your toilet? Don’t need to scrub for 3 months at a time.

But we are renovating and I don’t want to damage brand new toilets.

Posts: 19757 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure which product you're considering. It's generally recommended to avoid putting any kind of chemical cleaners in the water tank. They can be kind of tough on the valve and flapper.

If it goes in the bowl, that's probably OK.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37793 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
Well?

What's the status of the clog?

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cindysphinx:
Horning in with a question.

Is it ok to use those Clorox bleach tablets in your toilet? Don’t need to scrub for 3 months at a time.

But we are renovating and I don’t want to damage brand new toilets.

I used those tablets in the toilet in my shop for a while. They seem to make the flappers deteriorate very quickly and I stopped using them.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34851 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
quote:
Well?

What's the status of the clog?

Oh crap (how apt) I just lost a long reply catching any interested parties up on what's gone on since last writing.
Will have to delay trying again, as that was my last hurrah for now.

Suffice it to say that it began to rise again (much slower than at its peak rate, but not - as it had been for almost a week - low and unchanging in the toilet bowl and tank. Still rising every so slowly again, dammit. It's live-withable but only because I have so many other (serious) problems/tasks to attend to. (What happened in between is for another day).

I may have a more to the point reply to jon later on (part of what was lost in the ether), but I will restrict myself here to confessing how disconcerting it's been to observe that this thread is the most popular of any I can recall having started. Humbling to say the least. I prefer to attribute it primarily to the evident appeal at WTF of threads asking for rescue. You all are a naturally helpful crew - that , plus the thrill of trying to solve a mystery however mundane.

Many thanks, to all who pitched in as it were, especially you PJ. It was an unexpected pleasure to discover your drawing skill. Not to forget Steve's unforgettable "share" about his Audrey-reminiscent plant whose tendrils rose through HIS plumbing!

(A word in my defense to remind jon that the predicament this caused me passed the haha stage early on after a few very close calls falling. Shlepping those heavy buckets downstairs on slippery hardwood steps. Remember, my spine is completely fused with titanium.)

(Unable to decide on a suitable emoticon.)

Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
For a year now, I've been meaning to ask...

...Did you get this resolved? How?

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
Too embarrassed to confess.
(Does that answer your question?)
Red Face

Look, I live alone and have two other toilets...There are a lot of considerations in how thoroughly I need to go in remedying this problem now that the tide is no longer rising.

Apologies if this is a repetition, but if I didn't mention it... A friend brought the innards into Lowe's to replace the flapper, only to discover the (turquoise) toilet was manufactured so long ago, it's impossible to match any parts to it. (The tank itself is stamped 1954).

I will admit meanwhile, that while there's no fluid in the bowl (that tank has been removed), it IS not smelling delightful. Mightn't that odor indicate sewer gas and might that be capable of triggering an explosion?
(ALL I need!).

Therefore, perhaps (when I can, considering other pressing issues) I'd better move it up higher on my todo list.

For the time being, I'm just relying on keeping the door shut except when I open it occasionally to spray Febreze.