well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Toilet bowl rising (over and over) after a clog. Ideas re diagnosis?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Toilet bowl rising (over and over) after a clog. Ideas re diagnosis?
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of Jack Frost
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
I didn't think about holding the float up either.

The rubber flapper is shot.

Sometimes the flapper gets out of alignment or rides up on the overflow post and a simple adjustment by hand stops the leak.

--------------------------------
Be calm, be brave, it'll be okay.

Posts: 17677 | Location: Maine | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
Going down the sink may be an easier option than pulling the toilet, but...

Disconnect the P-trap and go into the stub coming out the wall. Otherwise, you have to get past the sink drain poppet or a screen if it just uses a separate stopper, and through the P-trap. Going into the wall stub makes that much easier.

But... I believe sink drain outlets are much narrower (1 1/4") compared to toilet outlets (3"?). So again, if you need to get the bigger snake down it, you pretty much do need to pull the toilet. But, if you can try a 1/4" snake with the spiral hook thingy, you might be able to dislodge the wad even if you may not be able to pull it out through the sink drain wall stub. (I just found several links to homeowner forums with the question "help! I have a drain snake stuck in my drain pipe". So, be careful not to just get another thing jammed in there!)

One other thing I did not include in my previous drawing... at some point in the plumbing, there is a pipe that goes up to a vent in the roof. This vents the entire drain line so you don't get a vacuum which would prevent anything from running down. I'm not sure where the vent line connects. I would assume it's near the highest point in the system, but it works no matter where it is. And it was installed before this added bathroom was added. So it may be either upstream or downstream from the assumed point of the clog.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jack Frost:
I’ve had some luck using a can of compressed air to free a clog that did not respond to drains or snake. There is a product designed just for this. Looking at the sketch, you would hold a plunger in the bowl to block any pressure release there, fill sink halfway, block sink overflow with wet washcloth, remove grate or drain closure from sink, then release contents of pressurized can down sink drain.

Jf

Ha! I know someone who tried to clear a clog with compressed air. What he hadn't reckoned on was that the toilet was back to back with another toilet on the other side of the wall.

Suffice to say it made a real mess of the ceiling. Eeker

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34929 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm a little leery about using chemical products because you have deal with them being in the drain if they end up not clearing the clog.

That's a very good point. I wonder how many plumbers are injured every year by getting splashed with drain cleaner that the homeowner neglected to mention before the plumber tore into the drain lines.

If you do use a drain cleaner -- or just bleach -- and still have to call a plumber, do confess so the plumber knows what's down there.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Sometimes the flapper gets out of alignment or rides up on the overflow post and a simple adjustment by hand stops the leak.

Good point.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37884 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Good point.

It doesn't matter in this situation. If the flapper is good the tank will fill up and then the water will go down the overflow tube in to the bowl.

Posts: 34929 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
Many interesting thoughts!!

Just a few clarifications, reiterations.

Don't forget the plumber did not use a snake (Can't find mine but don't think its a great loss in this complex situation - except, yes, possibly through sink drain.)

Also that he swore he was completely unable to get his (quite large) augur even two feet down the bowl (ie not even to wax seal, right? ) After a number of attempts which left him in a sweat, he kept exclaiming ; "I can't get it past the blockage".

I assured him nothing but human effluvium and toilet paper had been put down (that is, no local toddler's to drop a small teddy bear in).

As for the toilet paper, just normal "Northern" brand. Yes, PJ I too am surprised it hasn't started to shred or otherwise disintegrate by now.

And just for the record, in response to You-Tube toilet-unclogging evangelists, I have also tried: (a lot of ) salt, dish detergent and hot water - also, plunging out the wazoo (perhaps not the happiest figure of speech.)

I'm just as glad at this point I haven't tried any of my commercial go-to products - Liquid plumber (sodium hypochlorite) and even a mostly sulphuric acid compound. None enzymatic thus far (I'm out). I was afraid I or someone else might forget what had been tried, thus leading to some dangerous toxic gas result. (Amazing how many combinations are dangerous! Learned more about it in early Covid days when reading handy dandy guides to household chemicals with disinfectant properties.

Had debated trying the sink but was afraid it (whatever) would - as suggested - just back up into the toilet bowl. Besides liquid has made a puddle on basement (how?) several times coinciding with especially vigorous plunging.
Don't want to eat away at the paint or (worse) stored picture frames and/or other valuables that might be in the line of fire.

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
Just curious... did you pay this plumber anything for coming out and accomplishing nothing?

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Good point.

It doesn't matter in this situation. If the flapper is good the tank will fill up and then the water will go down the overflow tube in to the bowl.

Doesn't a properly functioning ballcock stop the flow of water? Amanda's kluge slowing down the problem would indicate the ballcock is shot....

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37884 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pianojuggler:
Just curious... did you pay this plumber anything for coming out and accomplishing nothing?

He ran out the door, not only without submitting a bill but forgetting I'd asked him to fix a leak from basement toilet - silverish flexible host from tank to drain. Texture like fish scales. Describing so noone will suggest a relation between loos. Basement loo has been leaking for quite some time.

When I called his service (wife) to inquire about his whereabouts, he apologized, offering to return explaining he was just kind of frazzled. (Note next stop was a doctor's appointment of unknown gravity. He probably wasn't having his best ever day.)

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:

Doesn't a properly functioning ballcock stop the flow of water?

Yes, but this one is not functioning properly.

Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
OK back to other pressing issues!
Tonight's last night of Hannukah.
Also (new worry) CA son is reporting in headache, low fever, sore throat. Please G-d, no.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Call a plumber. Seriously.

Bazootiehead-in-training

Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Call a different plumber. Seriously.
FIFY.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Amanda:
OK back to other pressing issues!
Tonight's last night of Hannukah.
Also (new worry) CA son is reporting in headache, low fever, sore throat. Please G-d, no.
We've already loaded up the menorah and Mrs. pj is discussing latkes for dinner tonight.

I hope CA son is okay.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com