well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Any sewers out there?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any sewers out there?
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted
People who sew, rather than the other kind... Razzer

I am in need of a new to me sewing machine. Just missed out on a 1980's Kenmore on Craigslist.

But I am not adverse to buying something new..just don't know any of the brands well. Coming from a 3O year old Bernette I bought new, that no longer can adjust stitch length and has what I think is an a ever so slightly bent shaft..no matter the number of tune ups has helped.

Sigh..

I do have back up..A 1935 Singer Featherweight that does a better job as this point.

I am an occasional sewer, would like to do more and expect if I had a better machine, would do so. On deck I have African Wax fabric to become a jumper (will do that on the Featherweight).

Love ideas on brands? Not interested in computer machines..all it needs to do is good stitches, zig zag and button holes.

--------------------------------
"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
I also have an older Kenmore.

Runs fine. Drapes, jeans even.

What would I do without it.

Came with cmas. Have never used them!

The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
I had a Kenmore for years and years, although I only sewed occasionally, so take that for what it's worth. It always worked fine.

My mother sewed constantly on her 1970s Kenmore. It handled denim, organza, taffeta, whatever. If you can find one from that era, I'd say grab it.

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15513 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Agree with the others. Singer, if you can find one that isn't the newer all plastic ones. Kenmore is good as well. I'd steer clear of Brother. A little plastic part (the spool that holds the thread) broke off after about 2 years of very minor work. No replacement part. Their suggestion was to just buy a new one. Um, nope. I jiggered something up with a long nail. It works but I was totally turned off by the brand by that point.

My mom swore by her Bernina, but I think they are $$.

Posts: 35378 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted Hide Post
You are definitely better off to buy an older higher end machine than a new low end model for the price and quality. I’ve been using Berninas for years. The one I currently use is from 1994 and it’s got some basic computerization so you might want to look previous to that time period if you want completely mechanical (which I generally recommend.) My backup machine is also a Bernina, but is probably from the 70s or 80s.

Edited to add: I’m not necessarily advocating for Bernina in your case. Pick a known name and you’ll be fine. Janome is another decent brand to look into.

"Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst." ~ Henri Cartier-Bresson

Posts: 4092 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:
I'd steer clear of Brother. A little plastic part (the spool that holds the thread) broke off after about 2 years of very minor work. No replacement part. Their suggestion was to just buy a new one. Um, nope. I jiggered something up with a long nail. It works but I was totally turned off by the brand by that point.

I have a Brother I bought used in the mid-70s. It's a very solid machine--nothing to break. I think the all-metal older machines of most brands are the way to go. Used, all-metal, high end from a shop that warranties and repairs them.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21351 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Avoided this thread for days.
Then I had to look.

oops

sew·er1
/ˈso͞oər/
noun
plural noun: sewers
an underground conduit for carrying off drainage water and waste matter.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25710 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by piqué:
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:
I'd steer clear of Brother. A little plastic part (the spool that holds the thread) broke off after about 2 years of very minor work. No replacement part. Their suggestion was to just buy a new one. Um, nope. I jiggered something up with a long nail. It works but I was totally turned off by the brand by that point.

I have a Brother I bought used in the mid-70s. It's a very solid machine--nothing to break. I think the all-metal older machines of most brands are the way to go. Used, all-metal, high end from a shop that warranties and repairs them.

I think you're probably right. My favorite machine is a Singer from ~ 1960 (?), and it weighs a ton. But it just keeps chugging along with minimal maintenance.

Posts: 35378 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Sewing machines are somewhat unique in that the old ones are better than the new ones. I’d find a sewing machine repair shop and look for a deal on a vintage Singer or maybe a Kenmore.

Waiting for Bernard to chime in.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CHAS:
Then I had to look.

oops

sew·er1
/ˈso͞oər/
noun

ROTFLMAO

Posts: 24724 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
I have seen Bernard's machines. He can sew when the electricity goes out!

I did just order from ebay the model I have had my eye on. I bought one at a yard sale years ago and donated to the kids in Honduras for a sewing project.

I have been kicking myself every since.

So a 1980's Kenmore Ultra 12 stitch it is. Cost is less (even with shipping) than having my old Bernette serviced, let alone repaired. Woot

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mary Anna:
I had a Kenmore for years and years, although I only sewed occasionally, so take that for what it's worth. It always worked fine.

My mother sewed constantly on her 1970s Kenmore. It handled denim, organza, taffeta, whatever. If you can find one from that era, I'd say grab it.

THAT would be mine! College grad gift!

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
I finally gave away my 1970’s singer (in an ugly cabinet) because I got tired of moving it. Bought one that is supposed to sew shoes and heavy leather (small machine made China), but i haven’t taken it out of the box yet...

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20460 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CHAS:
Then I had to look.

oops

sew·er1
/ˈso͞oər/
noun

Had! That is what I first read too!!!

Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
Great! On the purchase...let us know.

service it with cleaning, blowing, and oil first!

I used one of those canned blowers