well-temperedforum.groupee.net
COVID news

This topic can be found at:
https://well-temperedforum.groupee.net/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9130004433/m/3293977797

22 November 2022, 06:17 PM
wtg
COVID news
quote:
How monoclonal antibodies lost the fight with new COVID variants

https://www.npr.org/sections/h...dies-covid-treatment

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

22 November 2022, 08:09 PM
wtg
quote:
The bivalent boosters were just 43 percent effective at preventing mild illness compared to receiving no vaccine in adults 49 and under, according to a US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention study published Tuesday. In those ages 50 to 64 years, comparative protection against symptomatic COVID was 28 percent, while the booster was just 22 percent protective in adults 65 and older, the study showed.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/heal...not-much/ar-AA14qSQV

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

23 November 2022, 01:19 AM
Amanda
Frowner

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

23 November 2022, 07:25 AM
RealPlayer
Oh, dear. I got the first bivalent vaccine a few months ago but wonder about the efficacy of getting any newer ones.

Still masking.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

23 November 2022, 10:02 AM
ShiroKuro
So, I still have not gotten the latest shot and now I don't know if there's any point.

I don't want even a so-called mild illness, and we are still masking everywhere, I'm still masking to teach.

If I got the latest shot, and all it offered was protection against severe illness, I would still be masking.

Given that I had bad reactions to the earlier shots, it seems like, why even get it?

I don't know, I'm still undecided.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

23 November 2022, 10:16 AM
wtg
The available studies on the bivalent booster seem to indicate that the immunity boost you get is not that good, especially if you're older. It's just not terribly effective at preventing infection.

I've also seen some discussion from Columbia that raises the question of whether it might have been better to have a monovalent, omicron-based, booster.

https://www.cuimc.columbia.edu...ent-booster-worth-it

I haven't seen studies about how much the bivalent vaccine prevented serious illness and/or hospitalization, but I do keep hearing that "they prevent severe illness and death". Question is, does a bivalent booster improve your chances above and beyond any benefit you may have already gotten from getting the monovalent initial series and booster?

It would seem that if you're looking to avoid the virus altogether, masking, hand washing, and having everyone test before a group gathering is the way to go. Relying solely on the vaccine isn't going to do it, based on the data so far.

Bazootiehead-in-training

23 November 2022, 10:39 AM
ShiroKuro
quote:
Relying solely on the vaccine isn't going to do it, based on the data so far.

Yep, that's what I keep coming back to.

And if the shot is going to make me miserable for two weeks, then at this point, it doesn't seem worth it.

23 November 2022, 10:46 AM
Steve Miller
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:
So, I still have not gotten the latest shot and now I don't know if there's any point.

I don't want even a so-called mild illness, and we are still masking everywhere, I'm still masking to teach.

If I got the latest shot, and all it offered was protection against severe illness, I would still be masking.

Given that I had bad reactions to the earlier shots, it seems like, why even get it?

I don't know, I'm still undecided.

Maybe get a vax from a different company this time. Some people react to one kind and not the other.

FWIW, Everyone I know who had a bad reaction was after getting the Moderna shot.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

23 November 2022, 10:49 AM
ShiroKuro
quote:
Maybe get a vax from a different company this time. Some people react to one kind and not the other.

Yes, if I do get it, I will do this!

23 November 2022, 07:00 PM
ShiroKuro
Here’s the worst thing I’ve read about covid yet.

I need to try to vet it a little bit when I’m not in my phone.

https://jessicawildfire.substa...ck2Z_OU_KzSk5YFVJYB0

23 November 2022, 09:07 PM
wtg
Very interesting piece that seems to be well researched with good cross-references to the source material. I'll be going through it more systematically myself.

I was a little troubled about her comments regarding journalists. Not sure I agree with her indictment of the media.

Some of the comments are interesting.

Bazootiehead-in-training

24 November 2022, 09:56 AM
rontuner
Yikes, that's a jolly read...

Time bombs ticking within.

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

24 November 2022, 11:58 PM
Amanda
We have a lot left to learn about COVID (e.g., differences in susceptibility/resistance - I suspect they are substantial).

I have yet to get a clear explanation - at least one that isn't contradicted - about the advantages of masks. For whom? Do masks protect the wearer or those who come in contact with them or both - but only if one is thinking in terms of what's good for the collectivity?

And what kind of masks are currently recommended and under what circumstances?

I am not on the side of Covid, but I do think it's important to remember the social, economic and emotional losses of strict enforcement of "Zero Covid"

25 November 2022, 12:08 AM
Amanda
I would have continued that last sentence but my computer is having serious systemic problems - can't even describe the one that forces me to start words and sentences over and over, to avoid all preceding turning blue and likely being deleted.

Also, at my Mac's whim, I am required to experiment (trial and error, no clear pattern has emerged) to avoid it's suddenly capitalizing everything.

And while I'm at it, if anyone wonders why I am logged in quite so much...Well, I DO tend to forget to log out some nights, but it's also that not infrequently, this site posts my every entry on a separate page. It also often leaves up to dozens of WTF's open, some with me logged in, some out. (I only recently discovered this. When this happens I am completely unable to log out - at least, not in ALL the windows.)

Perhaps as lucky as I've been with COVID thus far, my laptop has gotten infected instead. Mad
And it seems to be a LONG Covid virus...

25 November 2022, 12:13 AM
Amanda
Having recently found myself somewhat involved in You-Tubes about the Black Death, I've become increasingly reconciled to the fact that bad germs HAVE, DO and WILL happen as long as our species have been around

Besides which, well, nothing is forever. Memento Mori and all that. It's simply astonishing how many people have died over the years, especially if we go back to the earliest Millennia. Sometimes it seems fighting is futile, at least in the long run!

And what quality of life do we have left if our lives (particularly thinking of children and youth) apportion a HUGE level of energy, money and experience to attempts to avoid this particular plague?

(I guess you've all read the same sad articles I have about how many cognitive and social losses our younger generations have lost, besides which they're just plain a lot more depressed than most of us were at their age. )

Just sayin'.