well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Welcome to Chicago
Page 1 2 3 4 5 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Welcome to Chicago
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Seen on twitter (from a satire account):

“By staging his own abuse, Jussie Smollett was empowering himself. He knew a racist hate crime directed at him was inevitable and decided to steal the chance to perpetrate it from white people.

He should be commended for that. Not to mention employing two PoCs in the process.”

--------------------------------
If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never Offline
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jon-nyc:
Seen on twitter (from a satire account):

“By staging his own abuse, Jussie Smollett was empowering himself. He knew a racist hate crime directed at him was inevitable and decided to steal the chance to perpetrate it from white people.

He should be commended for that. Not to mention employing two PoCs in the process.”

SNL would be ashamed not to tease Smollett. Let's see!

Posts: 900 | Location: Bay Area of CA | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never Offline
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cindysphinx:
Yeah. The hard part is that both versions of the story are *insane.* At the bail hearing, the prosecutors red text messages where Jussie was setting everything up and coordinating it.

Are those texts fakes? Well, when the cops asked Jussie to provide his phone records, he redacted them.

I think what really happened is that he just assumed everyone would believe him; no one would check on anything; so long as no one was apprehended, he could sob his way through; if anyone was apprehended, he could say that was not the assailant.

As far as whether being a victim of a sensational crime where you weren't really injured might help your career . . . it sure would if you have the type of career that depends on being famous and on name recognition.

And as a black person, can I just say that it is extra horrible that he threw in the bit about the noose? They should march his little behind around the Smithsonian African American museum and make him look at those photos of lynchings. Maybe they should hang one in his cell too.

Mr Smollett is a stage kid who's led a particular life. A life which compared to the average person of any skin color would be exceptionally privileged.

I think it boils down to Mr Smollett acting childishly. He's not inhuman. He's just a kid who never had to grow up. Every kid notices what gets a reaction, and then tests whether they can pull that lever at will. (One of my favorite observations of how kids act is that they only freak out about their own owies when they see their parents freak out.) Most of us outgrow the phase where we think it's so easy to keep getting that reaction.

Posts: 900 | Location: Bay Area of CA | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
Perhaps I overestimated the extent to which people understand the ways they can be caught committing a crime.

I was talking about Jussie with one my kids, and I said it is almost impossible to get away with murder of someone you know.

She said she thought if she gave it enough planning, she could do it.

DNA. Moving the body. Disposal of the body. Cell phone tower pings. Cameras on every street. Keeping your story straight. It’s all just too much.

Posts: 19758 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Andrew Sullivan’s take. I’m pasting it because it’s a small part of a bigger piece.

quote:
The Nobility of Victimhood vs. Facts

At the risk of making this the gayest diary I’ve yet written, I have to say something about the Jussie Smollett story. I kept quiet until all the facts were in — the actor is facing a felony charge of filing a false police report over an attack he allegedly arranged and paid for — but, seriously, how did anyone believe this transparent hooey from day one? All I needed to know was that Smollett kept the noose around his neck all the way home that night and was wearing it when the cops arrived. What victim of a real hate crime does such a thing? Then there was the reporting two days later that he refused to hand over his phone: Please.

So for me, the question is: Why did so many people — from Nancy Pelosi to Cory Booker to AOC to the disturbed Ellen Page — so instantly fall for it, or desperately want to believe it? The New York Times’ Charles Blow issued a video tweet where he said he was “hope, hope, hope, hope, hoping” that Smollett had been attacked as he had said. Really? Yes, I know it’s awful when someone fakes a hate crime, and wastes police resources. But wouldn’t it still be good news that a hate crime never actually happened?

Smollett was dumb and incompetent in his elaborate hoax. But he was smart about one thing. The most noble thing in our current culture is victimhood. Smollett aimed for the jackpot — physically attacked for being gay and black by Trump supporters. What greater achievement could there be in 2019 than being an intersectional victim of dudes yelling “This is MAGA country”? And so all good liberals instinctively and with good intentions believed him, embraced him, marveled at his courage, and his determination to “fight the **** back!” He was a central player in their fevered narrative of 21st-century America as a cauldron of hate. His identity as gay and black rendered him instantly innocent, just as the Covington boys’ whiteness rendered them instantly guilty.

There will be no serious media reckoning, although the local press was terrific. Booker, Harris, Pelosi: They’ll never apologize for their rush to judgment. This may not have been “precisely, factually, and semantically correct,” you see, but it was morally true. Kamala Harris swiftly pivoted away to insisting that the core truth, whatever Jussie Smollett did, is that reports of hate crimes are on the rise, and so Jussie was kinda telling a truth anyway.

Tawana Brawley, as Al Sharpton long insisted, was still raped, even though she wasn’t, because of white supremacy; Matthew Shepard was killed by rednecks he didn’t know solely because he was gay, because of white bigotry; Rolling Stone’s Jackie was still raped, because of patriarchy. Here’s the best formulation of the “fake but true” argument, penned by the New York Times editorial board member, Sarah Jeong, after the infamous Rolling Stone story had been debunked and withdrawn: “I believe Jackie. It’s a different kind of believe from believing that her story is a historical, factual account. But she’s not lying.”

Believe Jussie. Just believe. He may have made up an entire story, but “he’s not lying.”

See you next Friday.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
I don't see how anyone can possibly take issue with politicians who immediately denounced this "crime."

They were denouncing what was reported by the so-called victim, and they were right to do so.

Remember, failing to denounce whatever should be denounced (at all, or quickly enough) will also land you in trouble.

I think a lot of people had doubts but kept them to themselves. I say that is exactly what should have happened. We have law enforcement to go out and gather the evidence and ask the hard questions. They did, apparently.

So for everyone who denounced the "crime" -- Booker, Harris, and yes Trump -- they did the right thing.

Posts: 19758 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Jussie Smollett is now facing deeper legal troubles after a grand jury returned 16 felony counts against the actor for falsely reporting a hate crime attack against him in January.

The grand jury returned the disorderly conduct charges on Thursday. He is scheduled to be arraigned on March 14. The specific allegations–“false report of offense”– are Class 4 felonies.

https://chicago.cbslocal.com/2...and-jury-indictment/

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37848 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cindysphinx:
Perhaps I overestimated the extent to which people understand the ways they can be caught committing a crime.

I was talking about Jussie with one my kids, and I said it is almost impossible to get away with murder of someone you know.

She said she thought if she gave it enough planning, she could do it.

DNA. Moving the body. Disposal of the body. Cell phone tower pings. Cameras on every street. Keeping your story straight. It’s all just too much.

It's standard police procedure to first interview every person who lives in a house after a murder has been committed.

How do you think Amanda Knox Lizzie Borden got caught?

Posts: 24682 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by well-tempered gardener:
quote:
Jussie Smollett is now facing deeper legal troubles after a grand jury returned 16 felony counts against the actor for falsely reporting a hate crime attack against him in January.

The grand jury returned the disorderly conduct charges on Thursday. He is scheduled to be arraigned on March 14. The specific allegations–“false report of offense”– are Class 4 felonies.

Wow. 16 counts for (essentially) the same offense seems excessive.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by well-tempered gardener:
quote:

Wow. 16 counts for (essentially) the same offense seems excessive.

I am fairly certain it's to create room for bargaining. They'll drop some of the charges if he pleas guilty. Maybe even all but one.

And if he doesn't ... he rolls the dice on sixteen consecutive sentences.

Posts: 45733 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Exactly. Maybe abusive is a better word.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Exactly. Maybe abusive is a better word.

Honestly, I don't think it's abusive. If defendants don't have any reason to bargain, they won't. In the case of a defendant with access to financial resources, as an actor on a big television series would be, money isn't a deterrent. The only deterrent would be more time in jail.

If he goes to trial, he chews up an awful lot of limited public resources (the prosecutor's time and expense) ... resources that cannot be used to go after other crimes.

So, if he's really not guilty, and if he really thinks he can persuade a jury that he's not guilty, let him roll the dice.

Every plea bargain is always to avoid a risk or an expense, in one way or another (money, jail time, mental wear and tear, or other things). If there was no cost to going to trial, there'd be no reason for a defendant to take the plea bargain.

You may be reacting to the fact that it's sixteen charges, rather than three or five. And that, in my experience, is a function of the crime he is alleged to have committed. Prosecutors and police HATE HATE HATE being lied to. They hate it more than murder. Lie to the cops, and the book gets thrown at you.

Posts: 45733 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
It's not just lying. It's committing a crime by lying then continuing to lie about it.

Yeah, I think it is overkill but I agree with Quirt that it is leverage, mostly. But it is also making an example out of him for fooling the police in their eyes and wasting their time and resources.

He likely won't do much, if any, time if he cooperates and takes the plea bargain offered.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13538 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Police body cam showing him in his apartment wearing the rope like a tie when the cops arrive.

https://twitter.com/CharlieDeM.../1143280367589367808

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Hoax 101.

Posts: 24682 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post