well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Welcome to Chicago
Page 1 2 3 4 5 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Welcome to Chicago
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
P*D, in Illinois filing a false police report is a felony, with a possible sentence of up to 3 years in prison.

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37651 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
If he has fabricated this, I hope they throw the proverbial book at him. The collateral damage he has done is enormous.

Posts: 12473 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
All I want is a fair trial. You know, we have the Anglo-Saxon justice system. A charge is no determination of guilt.

Wait. I wanted to talk about the University of Chicago. Leaving

Posts: 24598 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
One wag called the Smollett attack fake noose.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Daniel:
All I want is a fair trial. You know, we have the Anglo-Saxon justice system. A charge is no determination of guilt.

A trial establishes legal liability, with the standard of guilt beyond a reasonable doubt. The court of public opinion does not require the same standard.

Do I need to say anything more than "OJ Simpson"?

Posts: 45718 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
John McWhorter’s take.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Jon thanks for posting that link. McWhorter is one of my favorite linguistics, and I always appreciate reading his takes on other issues.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18288 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Local news reporting that police say Smollett is now a suspect for filing a false police report.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37651 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
I just . . .

If it is true that Jussie paid these guys a total of about $7,000 to stage this attack, then his bank account will reflect a big withdrawal. Apparently, they are seeking his bank records now.

I'm trying to figure out if there is any possible way he could be telling the truth. Mostly, it would be such a hideous shame to see someone who apparently has it all turn out to have such obvious mental illness.

Is there any way these two guys actually did know his whereabouts because of their connection to the show and have a grudge for some reason? I mean, if that is what happened then it does not surprise me that they would say he staged it.

The one fact in Jussie's favor is that the two guys left the country right after the attack, and then returned shortly thereafter (when the coast was clear?). That's very weird.

Posts: 19752 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
He was just charged with felony disorderly conduct.

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
Here's the thing I will never understand.

Why don't people understand that if you commit a super high-profile crime, it is just too difficult to pull off precisely because of all the extra scrutiny?

Nancy Kerrigan/Tonya Harding is a perfect example. Really? You think you can knee-cap a world famous figure skater during the national championships and you won't have the police all over you in a flash?

How on earth did this actor think that he would think of all of the details so as not to get caught AND these men he hired wouldn't sell the rights to their stories to the highest bidder?

You have to be out of your mind to commit a crime nowadays. There are cameras *everywhere*. You leave a trail of evidence everywhere you go, what with your financial transactions and your cell phone pinging every tower in the vicinity. Don't even get me started on the DNA that will lead the cops right to you.

Yet this guy thought no one would check that he pulled thousands of dollars out of the bank right before this attack (assuming that was the final nail in his coffin)? He thought he could trust people he didn't know well to keep their mouths shut?

Gosh. You know that if I am ever accused of a premeditated crime, I am innocent. 'Cause I know enough to know I could never, ever get away with it.

Posts: 19752 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Doug
posted Hide Post
I have to do a double take every time I run across a picture of the two Nigerian brothers without their shirts. It’s like I’m looking in a damn mirror…

Posts: 10333 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
It’s like I’m looking in a damn mirror…

ROTFLMAO

Yeah, those guys are pretty buff...

Re this:

quote:

Sigh.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18288 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
No. I still can't believe he hired those two guys to beat him up for publicity.

*Nobody* is that dumb.

There has to be an explanation. I mean, *look* at those guys.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Superintendent Eddie Johnson making a great statement at his press conference.

Bazootiehead-in-training