well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Welcome to Chicago
Page 1 2 3 4 5 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Welcome to Chicago
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
quote:
Jussie Smollett, an actor on the TV show "Empire", was attacked early Tuesday in Chicago's Streeterville neighborhood in what Chicago police are investigating as a possible hate crime.

Smollett, 36, was walking alone in the 300-block of East North Water Street around 2 a.m. when two people he didn't know started yelling racial and homophobic slurs at him, police said. He told Chicago police that the attackers yelled "MAGA country," said Chicago police spokesman Anthony Guglielmi.

The attackers allegedly struck Smollett in the face with their hands and poured a chemical on him. Police said one of the individuals wrapped a rope around his neck during the attack before they both ran away.

When Smollett contact police at about 2:42 a.m. he was still wearing the rope around his neck, Guglielmi said. Chicago police plan to analyze the rope as part of their investigation. The chemical substance is believed to be bleach, but police had not independently tested his sweatshirt as of Tuesday afternoon.

https://abc7chicago.com/empire...-police-say/5111396/

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37794 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Frowner

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18330 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
This reminds me of Amanda's thread. Frowner

But, irony aside (i.e. Welcome to Chicago), I've been to Chicago three times.

Two road trips from Sarasota with my friend from Chicago and our mutual friend with a Daihatsu.

One road trip with my grandfather when we drove out to Chicago, Indianapolis, and Marion, in my Volkswagen, to see relatives, and to see the family homestead.

Didn't get to spend more than five days in Chicago, but was impressed by the architecture.

Posts: 24655 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Techno-Stud
Minor Deity
Picture of Matt G.
posted Hide Post
The whole incident has put me in a state of cognitive dissonance. This happened in the 300 block of East North Water? There's really nothing there other than the Sheraton and another hotel across the street. It's really odd that there would even be anyone on the street there at 2:00 a.m.

In other words, this doesn't sound like a random encounter. Sounds to me more like Smollett was being targeted beforehand.

[Insert Signature Here]

Posts: 15343 | Location: Plainfield, IL | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Meanwhile, the letter that the FBI is investigating was sent on Jan. 22 to Fox and “Empire” offices and used “threatening language” toward Smollett, police said. The letter was laced with some type of white, powdery substance, according to Guglielmi.

A celebrity website, GrapeJuice.net, published a picture of the letter with the words, “You will die black f–,” written in letters apparently cut from magazines.

Apparently Smollett was also live blogging about his trip to Chicago being delayed due to weather, so it was no secret where he was going to be.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37794 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Looks like it was a hoax. As I said on FB, when the stories hew too close to the narrative it’s good to be suspicious. Real life is usually more complex.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Enjoy your stay.

Posts: 24655 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jon-nyc:
Looks like it was a hoax. As I said on FB, when the stories hew too close to the narrative it’s good to be suspicious. Real life is usually more complex.

The story has been slowly unraveling ever since the beginning. I don't know where exactly it will end up, but it doesn't seem like it's going to be anywhere near what the original version was.

If you're not caught up, here's a summary:

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/chic...news-topstories.html

Bazootiehead-in-training

Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Ugh what a mess. There are enough real hate crimes as it is without making up additional ones.

Posts: 18330 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
If this is indeed a hoax, can Smollett be charged with some meaningful crime?

Posts: 12513 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
can Smollett be charged with some meaningful crime?

I am guessing yes, there's probably something related to filing a false claim, using police resources, that kind of thing. Right? What's the charge when you call and report a fire but doing it knowing that there's no fire? Similar to that?

Alternatively, it might not matter if he's charged with anything, won't this (assuming it ends up being a hoax) totally ruin his career and credibility?

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
I Doubted Smollett

quote:
I tried telling myself that it is possible that two assailants were walking around downtown Chicago at 2 a.m. in January in 10-degree weather, waiting for a black victim. In addition to that, they were stalking around with a bottle of bleach and a rope. And ultimately, the prey they selected was an actor on a show that they must’ve been somewhat familiar with, because they were able to not only name the show but also know that he played a gay character. Never mind the fact that he was likely bundled up because again: Chicago, January, 10 degrees. Also, after he fought to get away, he left the rope around his neck until he got to the hospital.

quote:
If Smollett’s story is found to be untrue, it will cause irreparable damage to the communities most affected. Smollett would be the first example skeptics cite when they say we should be dubious of victims who step forward to share their experiences of racist hate crimes or sexual violence. The incident would be touted as proof that there is a leftist conspiracy to cast Trump supporters as violent, murderous racists. It would be the very embodiment of “fake news.”

I don't give a crap about the guy's career. The above paragraph describes the damage he has done if he has orchestrated this.

Posts: 12513 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Looks Like he May Very Well Have Orchestrated It

The sh!t head. Sh!t for brains too. How on earth could anyone think this wouldn't unravel in short order.

Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
What is the evidence that he staged it? Just the word of these two men?

The whole thing sounded fishy to me when I first heard it. The victim seemed a little too "Look, see how the world is racist!!" than an actual victim would sound. "I left the rope around my neck because I wanted everyone to see how terrible this was!"

But I hope the police are on solid ground if they are going to blame the victim and say it was staged. I need to see some evidence.

Posts: 19757 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Read the article. "Sources say" he bought his own rope.

quote:
Sources say at least one of the brothers bought the rope used in the incident at Smollett’s request. The sources also say the “Empire” actor paid for the rope, which was purchased at the Crafty Beaver Hardware Store in the Ravenswood neighborhood the weekend of Jan. 25.

Yes of course, the "sources" need to be confirmed. But so much of the information has already dripped out.