well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    8 Lake Front Walk, Cleveland.

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

8 Lake Front Walk, Cleveland.
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted
Google it. Lots of pictures on Zillow.

Our dream house and close to the city. I love everything about this house, even if it’s an architectural mutt.

Size is good, price is good, proximity to the city is perfect. Only one problem.

The crime rate in that zip code is horrendous.

What to do?

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34884 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Offer contingent on them leaving the piano

And maybe the rest of the furnishings. We’re ready for a change.

Posts: 34884 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
Wow! That sunset!

And the house is lovely. It really makes the most of its setting.

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15507 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Beautiful house. I googled the neighborhood and saw this local press piece about the crime.

https://www.news5cleveland.com...-or-escalate-tension

I could see braving it out in my 30s or 40s. Not so sure I’d want to be a retiree in a high crime area.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
Don’t do it. Not worth it.

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20432 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
Even though the house is cool. (I think we’ve seen pictures of this hours before)

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20432 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
It photographs well and looks impressive. The views are unbeatable.

But...

Our former Casa Norte shares some characteristics with 8 Lake Front Walk besides the lake view.

Trying to heat, cool, and light those open spaces will be a real challenge. The hard surfaces will bounce sound around and give a hollow echo-y feeling, especially with the open floor plan.

The vaulted ceilings are grand visually but they're don't provide a sense of home and enclosure. We had a majestic two story field stone fireplace with the soaring ceilings in the living room, but always gravitated to the dining room and kitchen with the eight foot ceilings because that felt much more comfortable and inviting. And we had carpeting in the living/dining space that softened the sound and gave a cozy feeling underfoot.

You have to hire people or set up ladders or scaffolding in order to wash windows and even change light bulbs.

Read The Not So Big House. Sarah Susanka talks about the clients who came to her trying to solve all the problems this kind of design presents.

My 2c.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37850 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
8 Lake Front Walk, Cleveland

OMG it is beautiful and that piano space is fabulous!

But, crime rate is something to think about, also WTG's comments. It would be nice if you could contact someone else in the neighborhood for perspective...

And, is it too close to the water (bc global warming)?

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18390 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jon-nyc:
Beautiful house. I googled the neighborhood and saw this local press piece about the crime.

https://www.news5cleveland.com...-or-escalate-tension

I could see braving it out in my 30s or 40s. Not so sure I’d want to be a retiree in a high crime area.

If I was wavering before, that video convinced me. Eeker