Find
Notify
Tools

Hugger
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted
I met a guy today in a professional situation. He wanted me to look at some work. I extended my hand when we met and he told me he’s a “hugger” and gave me a hug. I’m a pretty secure guy but this was really awkward.

What’s up with this hugger thing?

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34948 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
I'm fine with guys giving me a hug. I wonder about guys who announce it in advance.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13813 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
That will not work well with women, in 2019.

Posts: 45741 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
Hugging should really be reserved for people you know well.

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20459 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
By the way...musicians tend to hug with abandon. Just something I've noticed. I don't always, but observe it a lot. Especially congratulatory hugs after concerts. And it's not usually problematic.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13813 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
So I’m in this business group - strictly professional. Many of the ladies want to hug. I don’t mind, but I’m no Joe Biden.

What’s a modern businessman to do?

Posts: 34948 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
You let them hug you. You never, ever offer.

Posts: 45741 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shut up and play your guitar!
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post
And have witnesses.

Just sayin'

Posts: 13634 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Ugh. (rhymes with hug...)

"I'm a hugger" is such a clueless thing to say. And there are a fair amount of people who say that. I always wonder how they respond if someone says "Well, I'm not a huggee"

I personally like hugs, especially if it's someone I have a connection with, friends (and internet friends!) and family. And my (Japan-born and raised) spouse has gotten accustomed to the US way of hugging and he hugs our friends and family as well. (Although when we had our wedding reception in the US, he was totally bewildered by all my Italian-American relatives who he was just meeting for the first time who were all hugging him...)

But I don't think (in 2019, in the US) it's appropriate to hug work acquaintances or people you've just met...

OTOH as I write this, I'm thinking about my dept. here. I work in a dept where all the modern languages are together in one dept, and probably 75% or more of our faculty are not Americans. And because we have a big Spanish program, we have a lot of faculty from Spain, as well as Central and South America. And then there are the Italians and the French. Those colleagues hug each other, and me, all the time. And I don't mind it one bit, and in fact I like it.

Ugh, ok, I'm a hypocrite. suave

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18473 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
In a business setting generally respond by kissing them on each cheek.

Okay, just kidding.

I did hug the last WTFer I met.

I think we huggers need to form a support group.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Bernard
posted Hide Post
We should do as the French, they have their stuff together: Faire la bise (kiss on the cheek) instead of hugging which would be considered rude. Sadly, this doesn't apply to strangers. Drat!

http://www.twistandvibrations.blogspot.com/

Posts: 10573 | Location: North Groton, NH | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Doug
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
he told me he’s a “hugger” and gave me a hug.

I guess that it’s OK as long as you tell people advance. I’m a butt-slapper, by the way…

Posts: 10334 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug:
quote:

I guess that it’s OK as long as you tell people advance. I’m a butt-slapper, by the way…

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
My first reaction to the "I'm a hugger" comment is "I'm not, back off." I really don't care, but I'm bugged by the assumption that of course everyone will accommodate the hugger's desires simply because they are his/her desires.

On the large scale of trigger warnings, though, this is pretty small. Group Hug

Posts: 35378 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug:
quote:

Not a butt-groper?

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9800 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post