well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Green tomatoes
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Green tomatoes
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AdagioM:
I’m definitely going to try pickled green cherry tomatoes. But not until after this run of glorious 75 degree days. Still getting red tomatoes. It’s chilly at night, though!

If you like Mexican pickled carrots, try this. It’s also a refrigerator pickle.

Pickled carrots

That recipe looks great. Will add the ingredients to my shopping list!

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37794 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
I find that a little less jalapeño and a little more liquid (because I want it to cover) is good. Also added a little sugar. Here are my mods. I put them in used Talenti Gelato containers (who, me?) so I can give them away.

Mexican Pickled Carrots

Ingredients
2 lbs large carrots
1 large jalapeño
1/2 medium white onion
5 cloves garlic diced
2 cups white vinegar
2 cups water
6 leaves bay whole
10 peppercorns
2 tsp dried Mexican oregano (can use regular oregano if that’s what you have)
1 tsp kosher salt
1 tsp sugar

Instructions
Peel and slice carrots and onion into 1/4 inch thick pieces.. Cut the stems off jalapeño and slice thin on diagonal. Set aside.

In a large stock pot add the garlic, vinegar, water, bay leaves, peppercorns, oregano, salt, sugar. Bring to a boil and add the carrots, onion and jalapeño. Lower heat to medium low and cook for 15 minutes, uncovered.

Allow to cool completely and store vegetables and cooking liquid in clean containers with lid. Keep refrigerated.

Fine to eat after 3 hours, best if pickled for at least a day or two.

Prep Time
10 mins
Cook Time
20 mins
Total Time
30 mins

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9789 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Made a batch of AM's Mexican Pickled Carrots today. First sample of the cooled carrots was delish; I think it will taste even better when it's been refrigerated for a few days. This batch came out fairly zingy; the jalapeno was pretty large.

Thanks again for sharing the recipe!

eta: And nearly every one of the green tomatoes I picked and put in a box in the basement has ripened. Couldn't believe it.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37794 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Your green tomatoes ripened??? How about that!

Progress report: I DID make a basic batch of "refrigerator" pickled tomatoes from one of the recipes WTG posted. They've been ready for about a week. They taste just like...pickles!

I'm putting the slices on burgers and sandwiches for lunch. I suspect they'll all be used up in a month. There were quite a few green tomatoes; I filled about two quart jars with sliced ones in the marinade. Even then, I left at least a dozen on the vine.

If I were to do it again: I'd discard the end pieces as they're just not as appetizing as the rest. Also I may have made a mistake in that, after the 10-minute "rest" period after boiling all the ingredients together, I discarded the spices and bay leaf. Maybe I should have kept them to put in the pickle jars.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13780 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I did select tomatoes that looked like they had a chance of ripening. They were all green, but some areas were lighter green than others. The totally dark green ones got tossed back in the garden and the squirrels ate them all.

I left all the spices in the pickled carrots. It would have taken forever to pick out all those tiny leaves of Mexican oregano.... Big Grin

Bazootiehead-in-training

Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
I didn't need to separate out the spices. As I poured everything out of the pot, the dill and spices just sort of clung to the side of the pot! A few mustard seeds and peppercorns escaped into the jars, though.

But I should have scraped them out and added them to the jars of tomatoes.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13780 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I made another batch of AM's Mexican Pickled Carrots, except this time I used an assortment of veggies. One and half pound of carrots of various colors (orange, white, yellow, red, purple), and half a pound of cauliflower florets. Very festive looking!

The purple carrots did color the cooking liquid and the rest of the veggies a tiny bit. Guess if you are a purist, you could cook those in a separate batch and then mix everything together after it cooled.

Bazootiehead-in-training

knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
That looks so pretty...and delicious!

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9789 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post