well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Green tomatoes
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Green tomatoes
 Login/Join

Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted
We have tomato plants in the back yard with a couple dozen green tomatoes of various sizes...the sudden drop in temperature and cloudy skies mean they probably won't ripen.

Never tried green tomatoes; of course I've heard of the fried ones. Also, will they actually ripen to red if bagged and brought indoors?

Can they be treated like tomatillos for Mexican sauces?

Thanks.

--------------------------------
“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13811 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
If they are slightly orange with a white star on the bottom, I bring them in and set them in sun. If all green, in a bag, but are often hard.
Never have down green fried tomatoes.

The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
If they are completely green with no yellow or orange, put them in a big jar with some cider vinegar and some red pepper and maybe a bit of garlic and leave them in the fridge for a couple weeks.

Green tomato pickles are YUMMY!

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
I vote for green tomato pickles!

They're good fried, but eggplant, okra, and summer squash are way better, and you can't fry everything.

I have a recipe for green tomato bread that's sweet like banana bread, and another for a green tomato casserole, but they're both only okay.

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15513 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Sounds like pickled is the way to go.

I'll look for ingredients. Thanks!

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13811 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Please post results! And recipes...

Mr WTG found some info that said to line the bottom of a box with newspaper and to put the tomatoes on the paper. Also include one slightly green banana to help with the ripening process. As others have noted, you have to have green tomatoes that have already started to ripen. I plucked two tomatoes out of the box that were starting to turn red. We'll see how many actually ripen....

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37892 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Tomatillos aren't tomatoes, as I'm sure you know. I've not tried to use green tomatoes instead of tomatillos. However, I did have a friend who made a great green tomato salsa. Her secret was to make the salsa however you normally would with tomatillos, but add lime juice. Might be worth a try. I also think you might have to cook them (the green ones), since they're going to be a lot firmer than a tomatillo. Just guessing....

Posts: 35377 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"One half of me is a hopeless romantic, the other half is so damn realistic."
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rustyfingers
posted Hide Post
Very timely thread—we have the same issue

Also, this thread reminds me that I just found and made my grandmothers recipe for Kosher dill pickles...so easy and good. Added a habenero pepper...very spicy

Problems are not the problem. Coping is the problem. --Virginia Satir

Posts: 8342 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 11 July 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Yep, to make salsa I would have to cook the green tomatoes...but you have to cook tomatillos too.

Anyway it costs almost nothing to try, and the lime juice is a good idea, Nina.

Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Hey, on the pickling front, can you make the pickles and NOT go the canning route?

A quick scan of recipes on page 1 of Google gives canning as the last step, and I don't know if I want to go through the learning curve (and equipment) of canning. Won't they keep just fine in jars in the fridge? I'm not trying to stock the neighborhood.

Went out and picked a hefty gallon bag of tomatoes today, because the forecast is that it will be 31 degrees F in the morning.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Look for a refrigerator green tomato pickle recipe.

This one is sweet; you may not like the sugar, but I'm sure there's one out there that will work for you.

http://www.choosingvoluntarysi...rator-sweet-pickles/

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37892 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
A few more:

http://gingerwroot.com/quick-pickled-green-tomatoes/

https://www.recipefiction.com/...gerator-pickles.html

https://www.cdkitchen.com/reci...tor-Pick102991.shtml

Bazootiehead-in-training

knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
I’m definitely going to try pickled green cherry tomatoes. But not until after this run of glorious 75 degree days. Still getting red tomatoes. It’s chilly at night, though!

If you like Mexican pickled carrots, try this. It’s also a refrigerator pickle.

Pickled carrots

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9799 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Refrigerator pickles it is! Off to the store in the morning for spices and vinegar. Maybe an extra jar or two.

Thanks, WTG.

Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
Darn...and to think I wasted mine not picking since I didn't know about the picklin!

The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post