well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Things you're missing as the quarantine stretches on?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Things you're missing as the quarantine stretches on?
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of Doug
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pianojuggler:
What would that solve? You'd just have to feed and clean up after a thing that ignores you.

It would be like being married again!

Posts: 10334 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
I miss my son and his gf in Canada. The borders are still closed to non-essential visitors (primarily those without a visa of some type). As soon as it opens I'm heading up there. There will undoubtedly still be a 2-week quarantine required, but I'm OK with that. I'm still quarantined here, so what's the big deal? Smiler

Posts: 35377 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
Can someone FIX the large pic? Can't read any mesages

--------------------------------
The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
Day to day? I miss restaurants. I don’t know that I’ll want to dine in one, even after they re-open. Weekly takeout has been good, but there are some foods that don’t travel well.

Weekly: I miss choir.

Bi-monthly, I miss haircuts!

And I miss traveling to teach. I’m teaching online via Zoom at virtual events, and that’s working out well, but I miss the in-person classes. It’s been interesting watching the industry diversify and pivot; I’m glad I can do that with the company I’m teaching for. I just had another event canceled for September. And signed a contract for February, but it can be canceled for pandemic.

I don’t think things will go back to what they were, at least not for quite a while.

We were going to visit Mr. AM’s mom this summer, and help clean out/sell her condo, but her assisted living facility is in lockdown, so we can’t see her. And we wouldn’t be comfortable flying at this point, either, so everything is on hold on that front.

SK, good luck on your presentation! Is there a way to practice with the technology before you do it? I’m giving a lecture via Zoom Webinar (which is different than Zoom Meeting) and I’m going to want to try it out to see the controls before I actually have to do it!

Doug: Get the cat! I’m talking to mine a lot these days. Even though Mr. AM is here!

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9799 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
SK, good luck on your presentation! Is there a way to practice with the technology before you do it?

Thanks!

I teach with Zoom so I'm pretty comfortable with it. But the conference organizers actually had a rehearsal yesterday (the conference is next weekend). I have never heard of an academic conference having a rehearsal before, so that was kind of funny.

But since it's a big conference, with concurrent sessions, and moderators as well as presenters, and presenters will be allow to share their screens etc. etc., the organizers wanted to have a dry run to make sure everyone was comfortable with the tech and how things would go. It seemed to work well, but there were clearly people who weren't as comfortable with Zoom, so esp. for them i think the rehearsal was super helpful!

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18439 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:
quote:
SK, good luck on your presentation! Is there a way to practice with the technology before you do it?

Thanks!

I teach with Zoom so I'm pretty comfortable with it. But the conference organizers actually had a rehearsal yesterday (the conference is next weekend). I have never heard of an academic conference having a rehearsal before, so that was kind of funny.

But since it's a big conference, with concurrent sessions, and moderators as well as presenters, and presenters will be allow to share their screens etc. etc., the organizers wanted to have a dry run to make sure everyone was comfortable with the tech and how things would go. It seemed to work well, but there were clearly people who weren't as comfortable with Zoom, so esp. for them i think the rehearsal was super helpful!

Yes. I’m pretty comfortable, too. But I haven’t used Zoom Webinar at all, and I’ll be using that for a lecture.

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9799 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Ahh, I haven’t used Zoom Webinar either actually! The conference I’m in decided not to use the webinar option IIRC because they want to use the breakout rooms for the round table session, and you can’t use breakout rooms in webinar mode.

You’ll have to let me know what you think or it. Smiler

Posts: 18439 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
I miss an in-tune acoustic piano.

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12689 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted Hide Post
Going out to restaurants. While we really like cooking going out to restaurants was one of our favourite things. I miss it a lot.

My stylist. I still haven’t cut my hair, and likely won’t. My hair is so hard for even a lot of stylists to do well. It’s super awkward right now, but I’m just living with it.

Travel. I was supposed to go to Vancouver and Edmonton in April for speaking engagements, and California in July for a conference (possibly we would have stretched that to a vacation for Rob and I). I’m sad about all those missed opportunities.

"Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst." ~ Henri Cartier-Bresson

Posts: 4091 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
I miss an in-tune acoustic piano.

Me too!! Actually my piano isn't that out of tune, I last had it tuned in November, so it hasn't even been that long. But I love the way a piano sounds just after it's been tuned. If we didn't have to worry about corona, I probably would have had it tuned at the beginning of April.

Hopefully I can get it tuned soon. We'll see...

Dol, what are the restrictions in your area? Any chance of a haircut soon? Or, I guess I should say, if you have the opportunity to get one, will you?

Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted Hide Post
We are still quite a ways out from salons being opened. We are just barely entering stage one of opening up. Salons aren’t opening until at least Stage 2, which hasn’t even been discussed yet. I will go once they are open. Our government has been pretty good about how they are managing opening up, and I trust my stylist (who owns the salon) to put whatever measures he can in place.

I am past the point where it’s completely unmanageable, if I’m willing to pull out my straight iron for five minutes and use a few bobby pins.

image share

"Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst." ~ Henri Cartier-Bresson

Posts: 4091 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Dol, I think it looks great.

But, if the sides and back are driving you crazy, a quick clipper cut without doing anything else could be very easy and satisfying. This was the video that made me decide I could do it, even though I ended up doing it differently.