well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Horn Growth & Smartphone Use

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Horn Growth & Smartphone Use
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted
‘Horns’ are growing on young people’s skulls. Phone use is to blame, research suggests.
https://www.washingtonpost.com...e-research-suggests/

--------------------------------
www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12691 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
Sensationalist headline, but I sent it to my sons anyhow. The younger one especially really HAS developed an unsightly case of "screen posture".

Don't know how either of them can be posturally negligent considering the major spinal surgery theyy saw me undergo even if it had nothing to do with use of phones or computer slouch. It was still to correct a deformity and when they start slight there's no telling where they'll go decades down the road (except that they tend to worsen, and even accelerate with age).

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Wonder if staring down at the piano keyboard during hours of practice does that. Must check myself for horns. Big Grin

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13814 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
RP I assume you're (at least partly) joking. But I would guess that a piano keyboard isn't as bad as a smartphone, because the keyboard is further away from the body than where a smartphone generally sits. So pianists even those of us with bad playing posture like me probably don't have their heads down at such a dramatic angle as do teenagers who are staring into their phones for hours.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18509 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
SK, and anyway, we shouldn't be looking at the keyboard all the time. Yes, I think the smartphone thing involves a different head angle.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13814 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RealPlayer:
... we shouldn't be looking at the keyboard all the time.
Indeed! I wish my childhood piano teachers taught me that way back when.

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12691 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Horn growth?

Posts: 12537 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
I call bs.

Posts: 24724 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Daniel:
I call bs.

How so?

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34970 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never Offline
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
quote:
Originally posted by Daniel:
I call bs.

How so?

With his horn?

Posts: 900 | Location: Bay Area of CA | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post

Posts: 20460 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Oh, that's really funny. I just had a little piece in Inside Higher Education yesterday that makes the same claim about higher education research, and how it is (mis)reported.

Not All Studies are Created Equal

Posts: 12537 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
P*D - cool.

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20460 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post