Tools

Schumer
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
quote:
Roberts condemns Schumer rally remarks

This morning the Supreme Court heard oral argument in a challenge to a Louisiana law that would require doctors who perform abortions to have the right to admit patients at nearby hospitals. Like many cases involving hot-button issues, the drama inside the courtroom was matched by protests and rallies outside the Supreme Court. But unlike in other high-profile cases this term, remarks at one rally outside the court prompted a sharp rebuke from Chief Justice John Roberts.

At a rally for abortion-rights supporters in front of the Supreme Court this morning, Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer, D-N.Y., turned and gestured toward the court building. He said, “I want to tell you, Gorsuch; I want to tell you, Kavanaugh. You have released the whirlwind. And you will pay the price. You won’t know what hit you if you go forward with these awful decisions” upholding the Louisiana law.

In a statement released by the Supreme Court this afternoon, Roberts – without repeating the names of the justices who were the target of Schumer’s wrath – criticized Schumer’s remarks. “Justices know,” Roberts declared, “that criticism comes with the territory, but threatening statements of this sort from the highest levels of government are not only inappropriate, they are dangerous.” Roberts concluded: “All Members of the Court will continue to do their job, without fear or favor, from whatever quarter.”

Today’s statement was not the first time that Roberts has issued a statement in response to criticism of federal judges. In 2018, after President Donald Trump denounced the federal district judge who had barred the government from denying asylum to immigrants who enter the United States illegally from Mexico as an “Obama judge,” Roberts wrote that the federal judiciary “does not “have Obama judges or Trump judges, Bush judges or Clinton judges. What we have is an extraordinary group of dedicated judges doing their level best to do equal right to those appearing before them.” Nor was it the first reference to whirlwinds in connection with the court in recent years: During his confirmation hearing, Kavanaugh told Democratic senators that they had “sowed the wind” in an effort to block his confirmation, and “I fear that the whole country will reap the whirlwind.”

https://www.scotusblog.com/202...humer-rally-remarks/

Our side needs to stay on the high road. There was no reason for Schumer to drag justices in by name. I didn't take his remarks as a threat any more than I did Kavanaugh's, but our government officials don't need to live down to the low standard that seems to have become the norm.

And apparently during today's session in the Senate, McConnell is going to denounce Schumer's remarks....

Three years of crickets with I-1 doing and saying all kinds of crazy ****, and now he finds his voice.

Sad!

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37918 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Schumer was totally, 100% out of line and should apologize with no caveats.

Having said that, seeing all these decorum-loving Trump defenders take to their fainting couches is a bit rich.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
Am I really the only one tired of tRumpublicans behaving without rules while any Dem is expected to hold themselves to a higher standard?

It's like watching a game where the refs let anything go on one side and blow the whistle right away for the other side.

After watching Roberts during the impeachment hearing, as well as his other non-responses, I think he has led the courts to being recognized as the partisan hacks they have become...

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7555 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rontuner:
Am I really the only one tired of tRumpublicans behaving without rules while any Dem is expected to hold themselves to a higher standard?

It's like watching a game where the refs let anything go on one side and blow the whistle right away for the other side.

After watching Roberts during the impeachment hearing, as well as his other non-responses, I think he has led the courts to being recognized as the partisan hacks they have become...

+1

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25705 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post