well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Time change

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Time change
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
quote:
For years, medical experts have stressed how daylight savings can negatively impact sleep.

Daylight saving, which begins in the spring and ends mid-fall, can make it harder to both wake up and fall asleep – as the "wall clock" moves farther away from the "sun clock."

If passed into law, the Sunshine Protection Act would make daylight saving time permanent in all but two states. But health experts advocate for adopting permanent standard time year round.

https://www.usatoday.com/story...-experts/8247349001/

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37794 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
What about if we all just agree to move the clocks 30 minutes back and call it good?

suave

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18330 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Standard time is used in AZ and HI, and after 22 years in a row of living with it, I would vote for it.

I see the chance I'll get my way is zero. Yay!

As to changing the clock twice a year, frankly I don't like it.

Posts: 24655 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
I would be happy with standard time. I’d rather have the extra light in the morning.

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20415 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
I'm fairly happy with the present system.

I remember the year in the '70s when daylight savings continued through the winter due to one of the early oil crises. I hated slogging through the dark and snow in January to get to work.

Admittedly, I am now retired so such considerations are less important to me as an individual and the advent of flex time and work-from-home policies gives some opportunity for relief to some who work but my memory is still clear on how much I despised it. I wouldn't want to impose that on those in today's workforce who have fixed working hours.

A somewhat similar consideration applies to year-round standard time. Why waste those daylight hours in the morning during the summer if you have to be at work at the same time year-round? They're more useful in one block at the end of the day than as two smaller blocks morning and night.

Big Al

Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7381 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Jack Frost
posted Hide Post
I’d be happy with either all year. I don’t like changing clocks , nor trying to explain to my black lab why it’s “too early” to feed her.

Jf

Be calm, be brave, it'll be okay.

Posts: 17671 | Location: Maine | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I’m in favor of doing away with DST altogether.

It’s kind of goofy when you think about it.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34852 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post