well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    1911 FAO Schwarz catalog

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

1911 FAO Schwarz catalog
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
I remember looking through the Sears catalog for toys; no FAO Schwarz stores around here back in my childhood days...

quote:
New York at Christmas time evokes many memories but as a child it meant a visit to FAO Schwarz, the oldest toy store in the United States. When a 1911 catalog from the famed toy store landed in the Book Conservation Lab it was like an early Christmas present!

The catalog came to us from the Cooper-Hewitt National Design Museum Library and bears the signature of its owner, Miss Eleanor G. Hewitt. The Hewitt sisters (Amy, Eleanor and Sarah) were the daughters of prominent businessman and one time Mayor of New York (1887-1888), Abram Hewitt. Their decorative arts collection forms the core of the Cooper-Hewitt National Design Museum collection.

The catalog is from the Spring/Summer 1911 and was more than likely the last catalog that the founder of the store, Frederick August Otto Schwarz , personally had a hand in as he passed away May 17, 1911.

The catalog features a picture of the company’s flagship store (then at Fifth Avenue and 31st Street) on the front cover. Inside there are a few pictures of the interior of the store as well as window displays. The toys depicted in the catalog are exquisite examples of the finest toys available at the turn of the 20th century. The toys are divided into categories such as Baby Carriages, Hammocks, Seaside Toys, Games and Books.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com...e-in-1911-180949054/

direct link to the digitized catalog:

https://archive.org/details/Reviewspringsum00FAOS

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37941 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
By the by, the Schwarz family and the Steinway family were close friends. Schwarz's Toy Bazaar was just down the street from Steinway Hall.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Very cool! ThumbsUp

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Jack Frost
posted Hide Post
The Sears Christmas catalog was HUGE growing up. Five of us would race through it, initialing all the stuff we wanted Santa to bring. So many of my early favorite things came from Sears: Farm set, Blue and the Grey set, Erector set, guitar.

jf

Be calm, be brave, it'll be okay.

Posts: 17680 | Location: Maine | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Oh, the things children used to play with!

I have a piano technique book from that period. My first serious teacher gave it to me. It's in about the same battered shape. I should digitize it before it falls apart completely.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13814 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post